Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
SUN TZU: Art of War
Transcript of SUN TZU: Art of War
544 BC - 496 BC
"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles." - Sun Tzu
"All war is deception"-Sun Tzu
The Art of War
Summary of "The Art of War"
Influence of the 2000 year old novel
- Military leaders follow his books philosophy and tactics
- Lawyers and individuals of a business background use the tactics during negotiations or during cases
- Professors of business programs often encourage their students to study Sun Tzu's novel
- Professional Coaches instruct their players using the strategies from his novel and relating them towards sports
- Politicians have been influenced into making decisions through the strategies and tactics in his novel
- Communist leader Mao Zedong used stragies from the art of war during the Chinese Civil War to defeat the Nationalist
- Colin Powel and Norman Schwarzkop Jr. were American generals during the Gulf War who had related and taught the principles of Sun Tzu to their soldiers
used Sun Tzu's teachings about weak points, strength and speed
- Napoleon, a French emperor, used Sun Tzu's novel to gain knowledge on specific tactics while in war with most of Europe
Reason of Influence
Sun Tzu - a Chinese military general, strategist, writer and philosopher in the 4th - 5th century
- Sun Tzu was alive during the War between the seven nations who were fighting to expand Eastern Asia
- As a military general in this time period he was led by the circumstances of his nation and his position to write the novel "The Art of War"
- Thus, he was influenced by the circumstances of the time period he had lived in
POLITICAL THEORIES AND EVENTS ?
- Sun Tzu did not directly contribute to any political events or theories directly
- However, his novel is ground for many
- His book "The Art of War" influences politician's theories daily
- i.e. Sun Tzu discusses the topic of enemy's and their strong and weak points; politicians use this theory often when running against one another or when two party's are running against one another by making commercials depicting and mocking the "enemy" or the other party by displaying or listing their weak points and things they have done weakly in the past
- As for events, Sun Tzu's novel influenced many generals and military soldiers and their tactics, thus influences many war strategies, and how some wars play out, based on the military's knowledge and understanding of Sun Tzu's theories
- HUGE EVENT - the unification of Japan
Qin Shi Huang, a Chineses emperor had strongly believed in the teachings in the novel
The novel made its way to Japan around approx. 760 AD
And became a huge deal to Japanese generals
-The Art of war consists of 13 Chapters
Laying Plans- five fundamental factors
Waging War- economic viewpoint
Attack by Stratagem- how to aceivhe success in war
Tactical Dispositions- defending of positions
Energy- speed and how to create it
Weak Points and Strong Points- how an army can gain strength from their opponents weaknesses
Maneuvering- different approaches
Variation in Tactics- flexibility to different scenarios
The Army on the March- how to maneuver through enemy territory
Terrain- different positions for each type of field
The Nine Situations- common situations and orders
The Attack by Fire- weapons and how they can be used
The Use of Spies- good sources and how to obtain them
Mark, Joshua J. “Sun-Tzu.” Ancient History Encyclopedia. 2013. Web. 18 Sept. 2013.
“Summary of the Art of War.” Art of War. 2012. Web. 18 Sept. 2013. <www.suntzuart.com>.
“Sun Tzu.” The Famous People. 2013. Web. 18 Sept. 2013.
“The Art of War.” History. 2013. Web. 18 Sept. 2013. <www.history.com>
Sun Tzu's Seven Elements
to determine victory
1. Which leadership has the way?
2.Which general has the ability?
3.Who has better terrain and climate?
4.Which army has the disclipine?
5.Who has more troops?
6.On which side are officers and men more highly trained?
7.In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?
Sun Tzu of Wu
-He was present during Zhou Dynasty's autumn and spring period
-He was known as Minister to King Helu of Wu
-With his help and contribution in the army of Wu
he helped expand Wu to be the largest region in
China at the time