Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of MyData2016
Who am I ?
Digital Asset Grid
R&D Incubation Project
Digital Identity Spectrum is everything
from PKI, account#, Log-In
to address, attributes, history, preferences, biometrics, reputation, risk profile, intentions, signals, etc in context, in time
An eID card is an anachronism
Old brick-mortar concepts applied to on-line world !
there must be a better way...
Digital Identity Spectrum
Government Issued eID cards
The shape and posture of the bodies express
A somber mood and express
The broken sword near the bottom of the painting symbolizes the defeat of the people at the hand of their
Inspire other people to dream
Terms And Conditions
May Apply *
The Upcoming Revolution
Of The Data Slaves
The Illusion Of Agency
Who decides Social Norms?
Trust the math
Encryption is your friend
Terms & Conditions
Start - Middle - End
“The meaning of the word shelter includes privacy”
Frank Lloyd Wright
"The right to have a secret" - Andrew Keen
"User's preferences and control of sharing" - John C. Havens
Privacy is about control, not keeping secrets" - Privacy by Design
Privacy doesn’t mean that no one in the world knows about your business. It means that you get to choose who knows about your business - Cory Doctorow
Intimacy is the new black
"But the true measure of a society’s freedom is how it treats its dissidents and other marginalized groups, not how it treats good loyalists"
Jacob Appelbaum said to me this week in Berlin, "Surveillance makes you say 'yes' when your conscience says 'no.'"
Intimacy is Sharing
Rebellion of the Barons and the Servants
against King John
A New Magna Carta focused on Institutions
that abuse power in the 21st Century
Transforming Businesses, Society, and Self
The Century of Self
The Century of We
“an emerging synthesis of artist, inventor, mechanic, objective economist and evolutionary strategist”
“Capability to act in a given environment”
Seeing causal effect of your actions
Humans and machines negotiate the creative process through tight action-feedback loops. The machine is provided with greater agency so control can be shared. Decisions are made collaboratively with the system.
Phones are not tracking devices
Nobody buys them for that reason
Nobody uses them for that reason
Its not a phone
Its not a computer that you hold in our hand
It’s a mind and body extension
Norms for Ethics
Norms for Design
Norms for Identity
Norms for Calm Technology
Norms for Humanity
Dr Dan Lockton
Ibo van de Poel
• Level-1: understand the world
• Level-2: understand people’s understandings of the world
• Level-3: help people understand the world
• Level-4: help people understand their agency in the world
• Level-5: help people use that agency in the world
• Non-maleficence: Human subjects should not be harmed.
• Beneficence: Human subjects should be benefited.
• Autonomy: Human autonomy and agency should be respected.
• Justice: The benefits and risks ought to be fairly distributed.
• Technology should require the smallest possible amount of attention.
• Technology should inform and create calm.
• Technology should make use of the periphery.
• Technology should amplify the best of technology and the best of humanity.
• Technology can communicate, but doesn’t need to speak.
• Technology should work even when it fails.
• The right amount of technology is the minimum needed to solve the problem.
• Technology should respect social norms
• No cross-breeding man-machine
• Behaviour should NOT drive rewards/penalties
• No Data should not lead to less treatment
• Efficiency should not come in stead of humanity
• Disconnect my data from my real name
• Every human should have full control of their data
• The right to disconnect
• We should not allow machines to improve and fix themselves (recursiveness)
• Tech to be regulated (ingredients & design intentions)
Democratisation of Surveillance
Democratisation of Creativity
Desire Tactile Agency
Public becomes Private
action or intervention
especially such as to produce a particular effect
Move from manual to Machines
* Danny Hillis
Body with Mind
Mind controlling Body
Remaking The Way We Make Things
From Ego Systems to Eco Systems
Iyad Rawan - MIT