Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Free Verse Poem on Migrant Mother
Transcript of Free Verse Poem on Migrant Mother
You have studied and read about the Migrant Mother. Now it is time to describe the events leading up to and following the moment captured in the photo. As you recount these events through the mother/children's voice, use language that you might expect them to use. Remember to use descriptive words and strong verb.
Characteristics of free verse
NO SET LINE LENGTH
NO SET RHYTHM
NO RHYMING PATTERN
WAY OF CONVEYING IDEAS AND FEELINGS
CAREFULLY CRAFTED WORD PICTURE
You will compose your rough draft on loose leaf. Also, you will revise and edit this draft until you are satisfied that your final draft is polished and ready for viewing by our audience.
Next Step. . .
1. You must get 3 peers to give you feedback for revisions. You must also give 3 peers feedback for their revisions.
2. Go to the next frame and follow instructions for peer revisions and editing.
4. Choose at least one related image to accompany your poem.
For each of your free verse poems,
create a least 3 stanzas
with 5 lines in each stanza
Peer Revision Prompts for Free Verse Response to Migrant Mother:
1. Does the poem creatively describe events and emotions that may have surrounded the moment in time that the photo captured?
2. Does the poem share events using colorful words and language that you might expect from the speaker (mother or child)? Point out areas in the poem that need to be improved.
3. Does the poem contain powerful sensory images, descriptive words, and strong verbs? Even if it does, suggest one line that could use more detail in order to create an image that you can close your eyes and imagine. Suggest three synonyms to replace three simple words and three synonyms for three weak verbs.
4. Does the poem contain three stanzas with five lines in each stanza?
5. Does the poem look like a poem or a paragraph?
6. Does the layout and design of the poem look attractive with use of different colors, fonts, etc.?
7. Does the poem include an accompanying visual image that is powerful and supportive to the poem?
8. Point out all grammatical and spelling errors in the poem.
4 pts Level Three
3 pts Level Two
2 pts Level One
Meaning and Originality
Creative and original attempt to describe the events surrounding Migrant Mother photo. It is evident that the poet put thought into their words and innovatively conveyed their ideas and emotions. Thoughtful and creative attempt to describe the events surrounding Migrant Mother photo. A couple of phrases or ideas may be revisited, but the overall product is carefully written. Creative attempt to describe the events surrounding Migrant Mother photo, but appears to be rushed. This is evident in the poet's redundancy or use of cliches. Attempt to describe the events surrounding Migrant Mother photo appears to be thoughtless or rushed. Work is very repetitive, and ideas are impersonal or unoriginal.
Writer's Voice Consistently recounts events and emotions through mother or child's point of view, using colorful words and language expected from the poem's speaker. Mostly recounts events and emotions through mother or child's point of view, using colorful words and language expected from the poem's speaker. Recounts events and emotions through mother or child's point of view, but sometimes strays from speaker's pov. Uses some colorful words and language expected from the poem's speaker, Fails to recount events and emotions through mother or child's point of view and/or use colorful words and language expected from the poem's speaker
Poem is free verse style and contains powerful sensory images, descriptive words, and strong verbs
Poem is free verse style and contains adequate sensory images, descriptive words, and use of verbs.
Poem is free verse style and contains few sensory images, descriptive words, and/or strong verbs Poem is free verse style but has no sensory images, no descriptive wording, and/or weak verbs
Poem is complete and follows instructions for its intended form. Poem is mostly written in the proper form. Poem is somewhat written in the proper forms, while some parts stray significantly or are written as prose. Poem is not written in the proper forms, ultimately diminishing the poetic value of the writer's collection.
Poem is free from grammatical or conventional errors.
Poem has 1-2 grammatical or conventional errors
Poem has 3-4 grammatical or conventional errors
Poem has 5+ grammatical or conventional errors
Poem is exceptionally attractive in terms of design, layout and includes powerful, relevant image. Poem is attractive in terms of design, layout, and includes a relevant image. Poem is acceptably attractive and includes an image. Poem is distractingly messy, poorly designed, and fails to include an image