Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Can Background Noise Levels Affect Our Concentration?
Transcript of Can Background Noise Levels Affect Our Concentration?
Yes, background noise levels can affect concentration. The calm music helped my
participants concentrate more. The vacuum and television helped my participants lose concentration. People took time to look at
the TV or listen to what was happening. The vacuum was just very distracting as it was
a very loud and annoying noise. Focus can
be lost easily depending on the level of
Can Background Noise Levels
Project by Janine Sahagun
It seems to make it more difficult to concentrate. People can sometimes have difficulty doing what they need to do, such as homework and reading, while there is a lot of noise in the background. My project is to find out if background noise affects concentration.
My hypothesis is that background noise can affect concentration, depending on what noise it is. I think a person needs silence to concentrate better as they can observe things better without distraction.
1. Use two or more participants of similar ages. I used participants who are
either 10 years old or 44 years old.
2. Give each participant ten minutes to do the given word search, and find as many words possible. The words should be circled lightly, so it can be erased. There should be no background noise during this trial.
3. Count how many words were found by each participant during this trial. Erase the circles made, and allow the participants to find the left-over words that were not found last time.
4. Repeat steps #2 and #3, but with the vacuum on. Then repeat it with music, then with the television on.
Another word puzzle may be used if needed during the process.
Number Of Words Found In 10 Minutes each trial
43 years old
10 years old
44 years old
10 years old
Lyrics can get you sidetracked because you may sing along or focus on the music more. However, calm music at a low volume can help you concentrate as it is soothing to the brain.
There are different kinds
of noises. One kind is white noise
White noise has an equal spectrum
and equal amount of different frequencies. Examples of white noise are the sounds that come out of an air conditioner or the TV fuzz. Researchers found that students in classes with more of this kind of noise
get lower grades.
Noise is measured in
decibels (dB). The lower the decibels, the better. Whispering and silence are about 0-15 dB. Most noises are over 35 dB . In a research, student's scores are usually lowered at around 41 dB. Also, the best scores were gotten when the level of background noise was lower than 28 dB.
NOISE IS Sometimes annoying.