Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of WTO
Dispute Settlement panels Trade and Environment
Trade and Development
Regional Trade Agreements
Balance of Payments
Budget, Finance and
Administration Council for
Trade in Goods Council for
Property Rights What is the WTO? Created January 1st, 1995 A place for governments to negotiate trade agreements Born during the Uruguay Round negotiations under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Council for
Trade in Services Achievements 1947 1949 1950 1956 1960-61 1963-67 1973-79 1985-94 2001-? Goals of the WTO Geneva Annecy Torquay Geneva Dillon
Round History • Established in 1944 to provide low interest loans, interest free credit and grants to developing countries.
• 2/3 of the WTO member are developing countries
• Provides support for education, health care. Public administration, infrastructure, financial guidance, and private sector development
• The world bank recently provided support to the Haitian education system to ensure that thousands of children remain in school. 1999 2001 2006 2009 2011 Information Technology Agreement China Subsidies
Scrutinized 400th Trade Agreement Russia International organization consisting of 188 countries
Ensure stability of the international monetary & financial systems
Facilitating the expansion & balanced growth of international trade, promoting exchange stability, and providing the opportunity for the orderly correction of countries balance of payments problems International organization founded in 1945 consisting of 51 countries
Committed to maintaining international peace & security, developing friendly relations among nations & promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights China/US Trade Dispute
• U.S. accuses China of dumping industrial products into U.S. Market.
• U.S. accusations that China has so far failed to live up to its WTO obligations.
• Implications for both countries and the world if the trade dispute escalates. Current Events E.U. asks WTO for $12 Billion settlement against U.S.
Subsidies to Boeing.
U.S. claims subsidies to Airbus from France. Ukraine notified the other 156 members of the WTO, with a document in early September, that it intended to raise the ceilings on more than 350 tariffs.
If other countries were to do the same, the system of legally binding tariff ceilings could unravel. Questions?