Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Ottoman Empire: The Rise, Fall, and Fall-out
Transcript of The Ottoman Empire: The Rise, Fall, and Fall-out
• Ottomans conquered the powerful Byzantine Empire in the 1400’s
• Sultan Mehmet II expanded Ottoman to parts of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East
• Empire reached peak under the sultan Suleyman I (they conquered even more territory)
• Late 1600’s: European troops fought back and ended the Ottoman’s expansion
• 1700-1900: Many nations fought Ottomans and won
• Government corruption, unfair taxes, inflation, and weak sultans contributed to the decline
• Ottoman leaders allied with Germany before WW I in hopes of regaining power
• Germany (Central Powers) lost the war and the Ottoman Empire collapsed and ended in 1922.
• Began about 1300 C.E. when the Ottomans began to expand their empire.
• The Ottomans were Muslim Turkish tribes
• Empire began in Turkey and expanded by military force by Osman (1st sultan, or ruler)
Fallout (1918-Modern Times)
• European politicians divided the Ottoman up into the modern day countries we know today
• Problems resulted from the new borders
• Europeans did not pay attention to ethnic groups, existing borders, languages, culture, nationalism, etc. when they made new borders= REGIONAL CONFLICT! (still a problem today)