Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Isotopes
is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom
identifies an element Isotopes
atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons.
Most elements consist of mixtures of isotopes.
Ex: Tin (Sn) has 10 stable isotopes! Consider Hydrogen (H)....
3 known isotopes: protium, deuterium, and tritium
protium - 99.985%
deuterium - 0.015%
tritium - very small amounts in nature, can be made artificially, radioactive! Mass Number
the total number of protons & neutrons in the nucleus of an atom The atomic mass listed in the periodic table for an element is the average of all of the naturally occurring isotopes of an element. Since Isotopes have more or less neutrons, its mass number will be different from what is in the periodic table. It is usually shown like this... Consider Uranium.....
used as fuel for nuclear power plants
This pic is of the Clinton Nuclear Power Station in Clinton, IL
Uranium-235 is the nuclear symbol notation for this isotope. Let's Practice:
1. Chlorine-37 has how many protons, neutrons, and electrons?
2. Carbon-13 has how many protons, neutrons, and electrons?
3. Write the hyphen notation for the element whose atoms contain 7 electrons and 9 neutrons. C-14 or Carbon-14 This means that instead of carbon having a mass of 12 it has a mass of 14. Why is it larger? Carbon-14 has 2 extra neutrons! Start-Up: in notebooks please 3/8
1. Argon-35 has how many protons, neutrons, and electrons?
2. C-14 has how many protons, neutrons, and electrons?
3. Write the hyphen notation for the element whose atoms contain 26 electrons and 28 neutrons.
Isotopes and their uses
Bone scans with radioactive technetium-99.