Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Car Pollution and Effect of Gasoline Fumes on Plants
Transcript of Car Pollution and Effect of Gasoline Fumes on Plants
Effect of Car Pollution and Gasoline Fumes on Plants and Health General Information about Car Pollution
- Cars and trucks cause a lot of air the pollution in the world today, and contribute a lot to the most common and dangerous air pollutants.
- China and the USA alone produce close to half of the world's carbon dioxide...much of that from cars.
- most ozone pollution is caused by cars and trucks.
- Your car makes carbon dioxide based only on how manygallons of gasoline your car burns.- The U.S. uses about half of the world's gasoline Amounts of air pollution
- 70% of air pollution in Chinese cities is from cars and trucks.
- 42% of air pollution in Dubai is from cars and trucks.
- 80% of air pollution in Manila, the Philippines is from auto traffic.
- Human activities release over 130 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes.
- 2010 cars are about 20 times cleaner than cars 20 years ago.
- About 80 people per DAY are killed in the USA from car induced air pollution.
- Air Particulate Matter pollution kills an average of 40,000 per year in the U.S. and up to some 200,000 in Europe.
- 1996 EPA report: cars, trucks, and buses produce over 3,000 cases of cancer.
- air pollution kills 50,000 newborn babies in China
- air pollution is responsible for 400,000 cases of respiratory illness every year in China.
- Car exhaust has also been linked to asthma and bronchitis.
More Health Risks -air pollution from traffic increases the chance of heart attack for everybody breathing that air. The results are in the Journal Lancet.
- Car pollution causes "significant damage" to neurons involved in learning and memory, and also contributes to premature aging and Alzheimer's disease.
- Intensive Car pollution is shown to increase the risk of premature birth by 30%. The Univ. of Ca. Reports
- Car pollution increases the Risk for Diabetes in healthy folks by some 4%. The Nitrogen oxides in car pollution is the reason.
- Those in dirty diesel areas are up to 3 times more likely to contract deadly lung cancer than those in cleaner air areas.
Effect of Gasoline Fumes on Plants
This experiment was conducted to study the effect of Car Pollution on living organisms, therefore gasoline was chosen to observe the effects of it's fumes on plants. The testing was done by placing plants beside a gasoline-filled container for different periods of time and temperatures.
Hypothesis: Gasoline fumes cause plants to die - the longer the exposure to the fumes, the quicker the plants will die. The second hypothesis is that exposure to fumes, at higher environmental temperatures, will result in quicker death.
Condition Condition of the Plants
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8Day 3 hours, 24° C Y Y Y Y O O O X
6 hours, 24° C Y Y O O O X X X
3 hours, 34° C Y Y O O O X X X
6 hours, 34° C Y O O X X X X X
Y - potted plant in good condition,
O – leaf turning yellow,
X – plant is dead (brown and shrivelled) It was observed that the plants that were exposed to gasoline fumes for longer periods of time, and at higher temperatures died more quickly. Conclusion Gasoline contains (aromatic hydrocarbons) like benzene that are carcinogenic and harmful to living organisms. Therefore air pollution which is mainly caused by cars is a big threat to public health and the environment!
Actions can be taken to help fix the problem.
- Drive an electric car, as for it is proven that the amount of pollution from an electrical car is significantly less than a regular car using benzene or diesel.
- Start a No Driving Day once a week. Walk, bike, take the bus or train whenever possible.
- Save your gasoline powered car for long trips.
- Some companies are even developing CO2 car filters to help reduce and maintain the amount of pollution caused by cars.
To conclude you can simply Drive less! and/or carpool.