Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Article 5 of the Constitution
Transcript of Article 5 of the Constitution
What is Article 5 About?
In the history of the U.S Constitution, Congress has introduced over 5,000 amendments.
Summary: In October 2013, the government shut down for 16 days because they couldn't get 2/3 of the Congress to agree on a bill to fund the government
1. Fill in the Blanks: In order to add an amendment, there are ___ steps. The amendment needs to be _______________, or introduced, and then _______________, or passed.
How an Amendment is Added
Step 1: Propose an Amendment
How This Relates To Our Quote
The Constitution requires that the government needs a budget (Article 1, Section 9, Clause 7). The Congress needs to pass the budget by having majority vote.
By: Victoria Perematko,
and Kendall Yu
"The Congress, whenever two
thirds of both Houses deem
it necessary, shall propose
amendments to this constitution."
Article 5 describes what must be done to amend, or change, the Constitution. (to add an amendment to the Constitution)
2/3 of both houses of Congress vote to propose an amendment.
2/3 of state legislatures ask for a convention to propose an amendment. The amendment is proposed at the national convention.
Step 2: Ratify the Amendment
3/4 of state legislatures ratify the amendment.
3/4 of special state conventions ratify the amendment.
What is an amendment?
"A minor change in a document"
2. What is an Amendment?
3. What percentage of the state legislature must approve an amendment in order for it to be passed (NOT introduced)?
4. What was our current event and how does it relate to our quote?
5. Fill in the Blanks: Article 5 describes what needs to be done in order to __________, or change, the ___________________.
Of these 5,000 introduced, 33 amendments were proposed.
Of these 33 proposed, only 27 were fortified.
Thanks for Watching!