Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Ch2 U1
Unit 1: The Characteristics of Living Things
pg. 36 6. Grow and develop 5. Use energy 4. Have DNA 3. Reproduce
2. Sense and respond to change all living things share six characteristics that make them living organisms six characteristics of living things: 1. Have cells every living thing is made of one or more cells A cell is a membrane covered structure that contains all the materials necessary for life. all organisms have the ability to sense a change in their environment, called a stimulus, and respond to change An organism must maintain a stable internal environment in order to survive this is called homeostasis. This happens because the life processes of organisms involve many chemical reactions that must occur in a delicately balanced environment. Asexual reproduction: a single parent produces offspring that are identical to the parent. Most single celled organisms reproduce this way. Sexual reproduction: require two parents to produce offspring that will share characteristics of both parents. * Exception:
hybrids do not reproduce. * mule: horse and donkey zebroid: zebra and donkey cama: camel and llama jaglion: jaguar and lion liger: lion and tiger the cells of all living things contain special molecules called DNA that give instructions for making proteins When organisms reproduce, they pass on copies of their DNA to their offspring The transmission of characteristics from one generation to the next is called heredity organisms use energy to carry out the activities of life. Make food, break down food, move materials in or out of cell, build cell parts. All these chemical activities that an organism performs are called an organism’s metabolism. all organisms grow during periods of their lives. single-celled organisms grow as the cell gets larger.
Multi-celled organisms grow by increasing their number of cells Organisms develop through different stages of life as they grow.