Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Environmentally Safe Marine Antifoulant
Transcript of Environmentally Safe Marine Antifoulant
designed by Péter Puklus for Prezi
Environmental Concerns of TBTO
• Half-life of TBTO in seawater is more than 6 months
• High bioconcentration (10 )
• Chronic Toxicity: thickness of oyster shells, sex changes in whelks, imposex in snails, immune system in dolphins
• Created by Rohm and Haas Company
• Active ingredient: 4,5-dichloro-2-n-octyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one (DCOI)
Fouling, the unwanted growth of plants and animals on a ship's surface, costs the shipping industry approximately $3 billion a year, largely due to increased fuel consumption to overcome hydrodynamic drag. Increased fuel consumption contributes to pollution, global warming, and acid rain.
• Used to control the growth of marine
organisms (algae and seaweed-soft foulants;
barnacles and diatoms-hard foulants)
• Usually mixed with the paint as it is applied
to the hull
• Slowly leach form the surface of the hull
• Acutely toxic to a wide range of marine organisms (effective anitfoulant)
• Low bioconcnetration (13)
• Degraded rapidly with a half-life of one day in seawater and one hour in sediment
• No chronic toxicity