Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
One Instrument Used to study the shifting of tectonic plates
Transcript of One Instrument Used to study the shifting of tectonic plates
GPS is a relatively new technology that uses signals
sent from satellites orbiting the Earth to
determine the location on receivers on the surface.
It can pick up any movement of Earth's crust.
GPS can measure the rate of movement in north, east,
and vertical directions that are combined to give
information of the location. This helps when studying earthquakes because after an earthquake the GPS helps measure the displacement of the tectonic plate.
One Instrument Used to study the shifting of tectonic plates is the...
GPS (Global Positioning System)
How it works...
How can it help when we need to know how much a plate moved after an earthquake?
Pictures from Plate GPS