Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Mexican American
Transcript of The Mexican American
The Begnning Of The War
*James K. Polk knew that the Mexican government needed cash
-He offered them money
- To settle claim for the Rio Grande boarder
Offered 2 purshase California & New Mexico
- Mexico refused
- Cede- To give up
-Provoke- to cause to anger to excite to cause an action
- Polk sent General Zachary Taylor south to the disputed land south of the nueces
- The Mexicans saw this as an act of war
- After Mexicans troops ambushed an american patrol on the disputed land
Polk asked Congress 4 Declaration of war
Forced war by shedding
"American blood upon American Soil"
Rebellion In California
Invasion Of Mexico
- Zachary Taylor captured the Mexican city of Monterry
- Santa Anna attacked Taylor at the battle of Beuna Vista
- Taylor forces were better armed
- Santa Anna retreated
- Amer. army under general Winfield Scott captured Veracruz
-General Scott marched from Veracruz 2 Mexico City
-Scott's campaign ended @ Chapultepec(stone palace)
-The Mexicans fought bravely to defend Chapultepec most of them were killed
-In Mexico these young men are still honored for their bravery & patriotism
-After Mexicos defeat at Chapultepec, Santa Anna left Mexico city
-The Mexican capital was now in American hands
-The U.S won the war
Opposition to War
- The war with Mexico was very popular among Americans
- The war was strongest among
- Who were willing to take up arms to gain more land
- Northerens aruged that Polk had provoked the war
- "Mr.Polk's War"
- Claimed he tried to extend slavery
- Abraham Lincolon- pointed out that land under dispute was not "American Soil'
Mexican American War Pictures
John C Fremont
-Polk sent represenative, Nicholas Trist to help general Scott to negotiate a treaty with the Mexican government
-In return the U.S paid $18 million to Mexico
-In the gadsen purchase in 1853 the U.S paid Mexico $10 million for a narrow strip of present-day to Arizona and New Mexico
-Manifest destiny had been achieved
Achieving manifest destiny
-Polk ordered troops under the command of Stephen Kearny 2 invade & capture Santa Fe, New Mexico
-Kearny was 2 lead his troops into Cali.
-Even before Kearnys troops reached Cali. settlers near San Francisco had begun their own revolt against Mexico
-They raised a grizzly bear flag and declared Cali. an independent republic
-John C. Frèmont soon took command of the bear flag rebellion he moved to join forces with u.s troops under command of Kearny
-Mexico had little presence in Cali.
-Frèmonts forces quickly captured Santa Fe and San Diego
-1847-All of Southern Cali. was also under American control
California Republic Flag
Santa Fe New Mexico