Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Chapter 1 - Three Worlds Meet
Transcript of Chapter 1 - Three Worlds Meet
Sec 1.2: North American Societies Around 1492
Diverse physical settings
Native Americans Share Cultural Patterns
Look at the Map in your Textbooks on page 11
What does this map reveal about North America in the 1400s?
Traded many things; land was not one of them
Land = source of life; not something to be sold
"When we dig roots, we make little holes. When we build houses, we make little holes..
We shake down acorns and pinenuts. We don't chop down the trees..
We only used dead wood [for fires]...
But the white people plow up the ground, pull down the trees, [and..the] tree says, "Don't. I am sore. Don't hurt me"
-Woman from the Wintu tribe that lived in California
Natural world filled with spirits
Past generations remained alive to guide the living
Every object [living or non-living] possessed a voice that might be heard if one listened closely
Very strong family ties
Division of labor [assignment of tasks]
1200 BC - 1506 AD
Section 1.1: Peopling the Americas
Explain how ancient people arrived in America & settled there
Describe the diverse cultures that developed in North & South America
Homework: Due Monday September 15th
1. How did the development of agriculture affect ancient societies in the Americas?
2. Why did Native American societies not wish to buy and sell land?
3. Describe the social organization of Native American groups.
4. How did West African slavery differ from the kind of slavery that developed in the Americas?
Read Sections 1, 2 and 3.
Write down three main ideas for each section.
Answer the following questions in at least 3 full sentences.
Explain how the environment of North America provided for diverse soctieties
Identify some of the common aspects of Native American cultures in North America