Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Cal Poly Pomona Sept 3, 2016
Transcript of Cal Poly Pomona Sept 3, 2016
Cal Poly Pomona EdD 704 HR
September 2 & 3, 2016
The make-up of the Association Teams.
What do we know about their teams?
Practice Negotiating Actual Items that contain Financial Implications
Intro to Traditional and Interest-Based Bargaining
Three basic steps of traditional bargaining:
declare a position
argue for it
make concessions until you reach an agreement
Working for Mutual Gain
Most critical step in genuine negotiation
Should be a joint search for acceptable solutions
Use Independent Standards
Where possible, find proof that your offer is fair - no matter how unfair the other team is may be behaving.
Standards may include laws, policies, past practices, reports, or independent studies
Don't go into a negotiation session without doing your homework and knowing what you have the authority to give
Three P's of Negotiation
Preparation - Preparation - Preparation
Intro to Traditional and Interest-Based
Practice Identifying Common Practices of Traditional and Interest-Based Collective Bargaining
People tend to remember how they were treated.
It is about the relationship.........
Activity - Prisoner's
Brainstorm ways to use data for comparison.
What happens now that there is
in K-12 education?
Please provide feedback for EDD 704.
1. Separate People from the Problem
2. Focus on the Interests Behind the Positions
3. Invent Options for Mutual Gain
4. Use Independent Standards
should be considered
when building an
NF -Idealists (yellow)
NT -Rationals (red)
SJ -Guardians (blue)
SP - Artisans (white)
Can Use with Traditional and Interest-Based
Divide up into your SEAC teams and you will be given separate instructions concerning both using tactics and responding to tactics.
We will use both Traditional and Interest-Based
Pair up with someone from the other team and share experiences concerning tactics and responses.
Divide up into teams and
discuss how to prioritize negotiable items that have fiscal implications.
If time, discuss
possible responses to issues that arise that can become grievances.
What are your experiences with Collective Bargaining?
1. Anyone on either team can talk at the
table and agree to take turns. Teams may
still take a break to discuss issues on their
2. Collaborative and trusting.
3. Win - win
4. Mutual Gain
"our" way or "highway"
Which type of bargaining
1. Check in as people and for "elephants" that keep anyone from speaking freely.
2. Establish an agenda for the day and stick to it.
3. Take notes and communicate to membership and administrators. (Joint or individual teams)
4. Preparation - do your homework and insure accuracy.
5. Caucus as needed.
6. Set up a wrap-up time to have
closure for the day.
The IBB Steps
1. Telling the story
3. The Parking Lot
7. Elegant Solutions
Kiersey and Bates (1978)