Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Probiotics.....
You are now all experts on Activia and Shakira!
2 main strains of Probiotics
In the Beginning
Probiotic = "For life" in Greek
- In Biblical scripture (Genesis 18:8)
- Somarians 2500 BC fermentation
- Hippocrates prescribed sour milks
"Live microbial food supplements that can have beneficial effects on health and in particular intestinal microbial balance."
- Anaerobic bacteria
- Many different strains
- Gastrointestinal tract
Dare to feel good
Sandra, Zan, Kale, Kyle, and Shyann
Your fellow friends..
Research on Lactobacillus
-Antagonistic affect of
against gastrointestinal tract pathogens
-Production of H2O2 by
species may represent a nonspecific antimicrobial defense mechanism of the normal vaginal ecosystem.
is one of the most commonly used probiotic organisms to promote health
, have been shown to prevent and treat gastroenteritis caused by rotavirus and bacteria
Research on Bifidobacterium
Protective effects of B. adolescentis
- formation of ROS
- diet induced increase of NFkB, PAI-1
-Type of "friendly" bacteria
- Many different species
- Normally live in our digestive, urinary and genital systems
- Found in fermented foods like yogurt and in dietary supplements
Probiotics and Cancer
- Reduced quantity of DNA-breaking agents in stool
- Prevents acidic environment
- Associated with a decreased risk of colon cancer
To buy or not to buy?
-claimed it was 'clinically proven' to help regulate the digestive system
-$45 million in settlements, now put 'clinical studies show'
-helps regulate the digestive system
-MAY reduce frequency of minor digestive issues (bloating, gas, rumbling, discomfort)
-helps with occasional irregularity
-1 X / day for 2 weeks **
-2 X / day for 4 weeks **
-3 X / day for 2 weeks **
**as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle
**Bifidobacterium Lactis DN 173010**
-a delicious daily drinkable probiotic yogurt for the whole family
-**10 billion Lactobacillus Casei...a probiotic that contributes to healthy gut flora
L. Casei Danone DN114001
DanActive: $6.62 + tax 8 X 93 ml
Activia: $7.13 + tax 12 X 100 g
Ultimate Flora: $28.97 + tax 30 pills
$0.83 / 10 billion CFU
$0.60 / serving ????
<$1.00 / 50 billion CFU
10 diff strains....
Overview of current and potential applications of Bifido Bacteria in Newborns
- Reduced incidence of Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Antimicrobial activity against gas-forming colifrosm
- Potential mediation of certain allergies
- Decreased toxicity of gluten
- Positive effect on Obesity
Research on Probiotic Yogurt
Possible mechanisms of cancer prevention
Yes if the probiotic yogurt is freshly made.
If the yogurt is on the shelf too long the probiotic bacteria colony count decreases and you may not reap the benefits.
Weakened Immune System
Appropriate preparation and storage
Artificial heart valves
- Recommend consumption should be more than 100 g / day of probiotic yogurt contain more than 10 million CFU.
- shelf life of ~6 weeks when stored at 4ᵒC
- May provide a boost in immunity.
- Could there be a decrease in adiposity?
Lactobacillus may enhance 5-fluorouracil treatment
- Greater enzymatic activity of caspase 3 lead to upregulation of apoptosis.
- Membrane bound protein(s) or cell wall polysaccharides may be key.
-lipid and protein content
Activia can help with:
$0.60 / day to regulate digestive system
$1.20 / day to possibly reduce minor digestive issues
$1.80 / day for irregularity
Serban, D.E. (2014). Gastrointestinal cancers: influence of gut microbiota, probiotics, and prebiotics.
Cancer Letters, 345: 258-270
Wollowski, I., Ji, S.J., Bakalinsky, A.T., Neudecker, C., and Pool-Zobel, B.L. (1999). Bacteria Used for the
Production of Yogurt Inactivate Carcinogens and Prevent DNA Damage in the Colon of Rats. Journal of
Nutrition, 129 (1): 77-82.
Baldwin, C., Millete, M., Oth, D., Ruiz, M.T., Luquet, F.M., and Lacroix, M. (2014). Probiotic Lactobacillus
Acidophilus and L. Casei Mix Sensitize Colorectal Tumoral Cells to 5-Fluorouracil Induced Apoptosis.
Nutrition and Cancer, 62 (3): 371-378.
Gill, H.S., Rutherfurd, K.J., Cross, M.L., and Gopal, P.K. (2001). Enhancement of immunity in the elderly
by dietary supplementation with the probiotic Bifidobacterium lactis HN0191. American Journal of
Clinical Nutrition, 74: 833-839.
Kabeerdoss, J., Devi, R.S., Mary, R.R., Prabhavathi, D., et al. (2011). Effect of yoghurt containing
Bifidobacterium lactis Bb12® on faecal excretion of secretory immunoglobulin A and human beta-
defensin 2 in healthy adult volunteers. Nutrition Journal, 10: 138-141.
Chong, E.S.L. (2014). A potential role of probiotics in colorectal cancer prevention: review of possible
mechanisms of action. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 30: 351-374.
Kadooka, Y., Sato, M., Imaizumi, K., Ogawa, A., Ikuyama, K., et al. (2010). Regulation of abdominal
adiposity by probiotics (Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055) in adults with obese tendencies in a randomized
control trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 64: 636-643.
Pala, V., Sieri, S., Berrino, F., Vineis, P., Sacerdote, C., et al. (2011). Yogurt consumption and risk of
colorectal cancer in the Italian European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort.
International Journal of Cancer, 129: 2712-2719.
Bomhof, M.R., Saha, D.C., Reid, D.T., Paul, H.A., and Reimer, R.A. (2014). Combined Effects of
Oligofructose and Bifidobacterium animalis on Gut Microbiota and Glycemia in Obese Rats. Obesity, 22:
Lollo, P.C.B., Soares de Moura, C., Morato, P.N., Cruz, A.D., de Freitas Castro, W., et al. (2013). Probiotic
yogurt offers higher immune-protection than probiotic whey beverage. Food Research International, 54: