Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of COMMUNITY POLICING
6. What is the name of the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas secret mini game? Quiz Then and Now "Well somebody has to get the job done. If he didn't do this, then they'd probably be out hurting more people. The sad part is that he got caught, and now he's going to do the time that others out on parole/probation should still be doing (life)" Affect on community Changes in Television Violence in Movies By age 18, the average American child has witnessed 40,000 televised murders and more than 200,000 total acts of violence, according to CommonSense Media. 1970's
Married couples slept in different beds
language and violence were almost none existent. 2012
Any type of couple can be seen in bed together
Language has little regulation
Violence can be seen everywhere
Type of TV shows changed How does this violence effect our children? In 1977, when Gallup asked teens between the ages of 13 and 17 whether they felt there was too much violence in the movies, more than four out of 10 (42%) said yes, they did.
In 1999 less than a quarter (23%) of teens answered yes when asked the same question. Are you teaching your kids about sex or is someone else? For 57 percent of American adolescents between the ages of 14 and 16, the media is their greatest source of sexual information. They often don’t differentiate between what they see on the screen and what they must confront in daily life. - A professor of cognitive neurology at Newcastle University's research found that the brain's responses to music are just like it's responses to sex; the measured brain activity of someone who receives trembles from music and the measured brain activity of someone having pleasurable sex are exactly the same. Several studies have shown that teens who listen to songs with "raunchy" lyrics have sex earlier. - Among all the Genres, Rap/Hip Hop lead all others when it comes to sexual content. - Coincidentally it was found that teens who listen to rap were much more likely to have sex than any other genre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5B22KAkEk Man kills 2 registered sex offenders Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children: ? Number of minutes per week that the average child watches television: ? Hours per year the average American youth watches television: ? Percentage of Americans who believe TV violence helps precipitate real life mayhem: ? Television Statistics: According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., Internet Tools Net-Nanny Accurate filtering of websites.
When an override is made, an
email is sent to the guardian.
You can turn off internet access
during certain periods.
A password allows access to
Records conversations on live
chat rooms or Facebook. Television Tools V-chip & Time Machine V-Chip
January 1, 2000, the FCC has
required all television be
equipped with features to block
the display of television
programming based upon its
Perfect to use as a reward for homework, good behavior, etc. Music Tools http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14227775/ns/health sexual_health/t/dirty-song-lyrics-can-prompt-early-teen sex/ Itunes Parental Controls Restrict explicit content from displaying in the itunes store.
Restrict explicit content from being downloaded. Video Game Tools -Woodstock revolutionized the way people interact and enjoy Concerts. Sex Drugs and Violence at Concerts Violent Pornography Linked to Sexually Aggressive Behavior in Children and Adolescents Results:
The study finds that youth who look at violent x-rated material are six times more likely to report forcing someone to do something sexual online or in-person versus kids not exposed to x-rated material. Study: Conducted by Internet Solutions for Kids and funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Doctor : Dr. Michele Ybarra -Almost all genres contain some refrences to violence sex and drugs.
- Through out time much like television, we have slowly let adult content in music slide.
- From Elvis to The Beatles, to Madonna and Britney Spears.. they have each contributed in there own way. Not Just Rap -Teenagers and even adults do such things at concerts today in our very own communities. - Teens who listened to lots of music with degrading sexual messages were almost twice as likely to start having intercourse or other sexual activities within the following two years as were teens who listened to little or no sexually degrading music. --as reported by CBS NEWS So Does Music really affect us? Popular Games Call of Duty
Grand Theft Auto
Bio shock Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Aside from the weapons, hijackings, assaults, drug deals and being able to pick up prostitutes, on the PC version of the game there was a secret online mini game called "Hot Coffee" that can be unlocked. After it's unlocked players can engage in, or direct, sexually explicit actions between virtual character.
Legal issue. Lawmakers caught wind of it and gave the game with this feature a new rating AO (adult only) so it was pulled from mainstream retailers shelves.
Since then a new version of the game came "out with out the Hot Coffee" mini game. Statistics Drugs and Violence 1. How many minutes do parents engage in meaning full conversation with their kids? 1) 3.5 minutes Answers The Motion Picture Association controls the ratings for all movies here in the U.S. and also does consulting in other countries. They are basically self-regulated. In 1968, Jack Valenti, who went on to hold the position for 38 years, founded the voluntary film rating system giving creative and artistic freedoms to filmmakers while fulfilling its core purpose of informing parents about the content of films so they can determine what movies are appropriate for their kids. What is the MPAA and who are the people that decide movie ratings? 2. How many acts of violence does an average kid in America see by the time they are 18?
3. Name the most popular internet filter program?
4. What is the number one state that pays to watch pornography? * Hint: You are in this state right now* Exposure to sexual content in popular movies predicts sexual behavior in adolescence: study “Adolescents who are exposed to more sexual content in movies start having sex at younger ages,” says Dr. Ross O’Hara, adding that they also tend to have “more sexual partners” and indulge in risky sexual behaviour. Previously movies were either acceptable or not acceptable for release but this was found to be too restrictive. Is the next generation becoming decensitized to violence? Children who view media violence are more likely to have increased feelings of hostility, decreased emotional response to the portrayal of violence and injury that lead to violent behavior through imitation. Violence in movies has become progressively more accepted and its not just R-rated movies. 2) 200,000+
4) Utah (http://www.mpaa.org/) http://www.commonsensemedia.org/ http://www.gallup.com/poll/6634/teens-shrug-off-movie-sex-violence.aspx http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/exposure-to-sexual-content-in-popular-movies-predicts-sexual-behavior-in-ad http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/exposure-to-sexual-content-in-popular-movies-predicts-sexual-behavior-in-ad Handout 5. Rap or hiphop
6. Hot Coffee The Sims
13yrs You can have sexual encounters virtually.
Same sex Call Of Duty
Rated M Controversy 1st person shooter game
Fairly easily accessible to kids anyway
Older friends/siblings Sims sexuality In the game players characters can participate in orgies. Modern Warfare 2
Players have the choice to be involved in an airport massacre where they shoot as many unarmed civilians as possible
Some countries have actually banned that option for that game. Violent people or violent games? There was a New York Times article from June 2011 that stated California tried to ban violent video games to people under 18 The case was not upheld by the courts.
They stated that the evidence to support that violent video games leading to violent acts simply wasn't there. blogs.ubc.ca fanpop.com