Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Schistosoma
- spleen: body
- histological MODERATE
SPLENOMEGALY HYPERSPLENOMEGALY extract proteins TRANSFERRIN - negative acute phase reactant
- 2.5 to 4.6 fold increase in HSS (not MSS)
- schistosomes require iron and bind host transferrin
for development Major urinary protein - lipocalin protein in mice
- similar to "human epididymis-specific lipocalin 9"
- 5 spots with 2-10 fold decrease in HSS
- 2 spots 2.6 fold decrease in MSS - S. mansoni phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase
- antigen for shistosome infection
- increased > 13 fold in HSS
- increased 8 fold in MSS - structural
- immune response
- acute phase - energy metabolism
- choline metabolism
- xenobiotic metabolism Critique n= 5 for each group
repeated test with similar results
can't be utilized as test yet, no cut-off
animal model, different proteins in humans?
need more studies conclusion transferrin, MUP, SmPEPCK among others, can be potential diagnostic biomarkers in early detection and treatment of schistosomiasis patients
Transferrin isoforms and MUP isoforms were significantly altered in HSS mice
Liver protein abundances differ between MSS and HSS mice, can be used as diagnostic markers for early detection of hepatosplenic schistosomiasis Thank you Dr Guarner
Dr Mass-Moya References - Mandell, Douglas and Bennett's Principles and practice of infectious diseases, fourth edition
- Diagnostic pathology of infectious disease, Richard L. Kradin
- Michelle L. Steinauer, The sex lives of parasites: Investigating the mating system and mechanisms of sexual selection of the human pathogen Schistosoma mansoni, Int J Parasitol. 2009 August; 39(10): 1157–1163.
- Wilson RA, The saga of schistosome migration and attrition.Parasitology. 2009 Oct;136(12):1581-92. doi: 10.1017/S0031182009005708. Epub 2009 Mar 5. differential