Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Deforestation
- charcoal Agriculture:
- pasture for livestock
- food plantations Settlement:
- buildings Deforestation leads to... Habitat damage Biodiversity loss Desertification Global warming More than 50% of the animal and plant species in the world live in tropical forests. 50% of the world’s original forests had been destroyed by 2011 Increasing CO2 emissions Economic Impacts Short-term economic gains made by conversion of forest to agriculture, or over-exploitation of wood products, typically leads to loss of long-term income and long-term biological productivity
Reduce GDP by 7% by 2050 In Mexico... At the end of the 20th century, one million acres were deforested every year. Comisión Nacional de Desmontes
(1972-1983) 25 million trees 12% mexican territory Poor people received land so they would harvest it. In areas characterized by low economic productivity but high biodiversity. 30,000 1970´s and 80´s Food autosuficiency Deforestation of tropical forests Economic, Environmental and Social FAILURE. "Derechos de Monte" Companies got the "right" to deforest specific land. Mexican caoba Sustianable deforestation in Mexico? Pine tree The best economic option... Get as much money out of the trees in the land and then use it to harvest corn or grass for livestock. "The tragedy of the commons" Common goods In the 21st century deforestation in Mexico continues However, there are protected areas like national parks. "Pago por servicios ambientales" The government gives subsidiaries to continue deforesting. PROCAMPO & PROGAN. Biofuel is a catastrophy. Since the 1950's, Mexico has lost... 95% of its humid tropical jungle.
50% of its temperate forests.
One third of the ecosystems in natural dessert. Nowadays, biodiversity does not have legal owner. Recommendations It is urgent to stop the subsidiaries that promote deforestation. Start making economic profits from sustainable tourism. "A major condition for the adoption of sustainable forest management is a demand for products that are produced sustainably and consumer willingness to pay for the higher costs entailed.” -FAO The world leaders
on sustainable forestry 1. US
4. Brazil Reforestation In In many parts of the world, reforestation is increasing the forested area.
Asia as a whole gained 1 million hectares of forest between 2000 and 2005
Tropical forest in El Salvador expanded more than 20% between 1992 and 2001. Based on these trends, one study projects that global forest will increase by 10%—an area the size of India—by 2050 CHINA Large scale deforestation occurred.
Every healthy citizen (11-66) plant 3-5 trees a year.
1 billion trees have been planted in China every year since 1982.
March 12 of every year in China is the Planting Holiday