Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Ethiopia Presentation

World History project for countries in Africa.
by

Seth Adams

on 7 November 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Ethiopia Presentation

Ethiopia
The Location
Ethiopia is in between Djibouti, Sudan, Eritrea, Somalia, and Kenya.
Ethiopia is slightly less than twice the size of Texas.
It is on the Eastern side of Africa.
The capital of Ethiopia is Addis Ababa.
The Place
The climate of Ethiopia is typically warm and between 60° and 85°. It also has 2 rainy seasons. One of them is from February to April and then the longer of the two, which is called Kremt, from June to September. Even though Ethiopia has two seasons of rain, it suffers from drought. Ethiopia is in a tropical zone, between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer.
Ethiopia is a very mountainous country and has 5 rivers running through it. These rivers are the Omo River, the Baro River, the Awāsh River, the Ganāle-Doryā River, and the Shabalé River.
Only 7% of Ethiopia is urban, the other 93% is rural.
The terrain of Ethiopia is a high plateau on the eastern most part of Africa, or the Horn of Africa.
Ethiopia has some of the best medical research facilities in Africa.
Ethiopia's government was a constitutional monarchy. Ethiopia abolished the monarchy in 1975. The first emperor was Menelik I and the final emperor was Haile Selassie I.
Ethiopia's government is now a federal repulic.
The currency there is the Ethiopian birr and in comparison to the US dollar is worth 5 cents.
The Human and Environment Interaction
Ethiopians mine for resources like gold, silver, copper, potash, natural gases, and hydro power.
Food supplies is decreasing rapidly.
They have bad farming habits, leading to the destruction of farmland.
There are many species that have gone extinct due to hunting and the civil war. Examples of these species are the Ethiopian Wolf, the Walia Ibex, and the MacMillan's Shrew.
Some Ethiopians transport water by placing the water into a bowl and carrying it balanced on their heads and firmly grasping the bowl with both hands.
Some Ethiopians use donkeys as wagons by having them carry multiple goods with them.
Bibliographies
Veloso, Bryan. "Ethiopia." Edublogs. 8 January 2009. WPMU DEV -The WordPress Experts. 25 October 2013. <http://jimbochen.edublogs.org/2009/01/08/human-environment-interaction/>.
"Ethiopia." Our Africa. 25 October 2013. <http://www.our-africa.org/ethiopia>.
The Movement
Citizens from Sudan, Somalia, and Eritrea go to Ethiopia to avoid the wars in their own countries.
Other reasons for going there are
Threats of safety and security
Crimes
Victims of crime
Criminal penalties
Juvenile crime
Traffic safety
Medical issues and health companies
About 1 million people travel to Ethiopia for a vacation each year.
The Region
Ethiopia is known for its medical advances compared to the rest of Africa.
Ethiopia has a population of 91.73 million people as of 2012.
The people of Ethiopia speak Amharic, English, and Afrikaans.
In Ethiopia, the remains of what we know as Lucy were found. Lucy is believed to predate other remains found of the human race. However there is a contradicting theory. There was another skeleton found of another species called Ardi. Ardi varies only slightly and is possibly related to Lucy. It is possible that both Lucy and Ardi were the origin of the human race.
Trade
Exports

Coffee
Harar coffee
Limu coffee
Sidama coffee
Yirgacheffe coffee
Wollega coffee (or Nekempte coffee)
Tea
Oilseeds
Pulses
Leather
Textile fragments
Clothing
Gum
Olibanum gum
Myrrh gum
Oppoponex gum
Arabic gum
Imports
Imports are
Chemicals
Automotives
Machinery
Electronics
Medical equipment
Full transcript