Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What are the four components of pre-departure training progr
Transcript of What are the four components of pre-departure training progr
1. Cross-Cultural Awareness
2. Preliminary Visits
4. Day-to-Day Assistance
3. Language Instruction
The combination of all four components of a pre-departure training program will lead to a smooth transition to a foreign location for the organisation, the expatriate and their partner/family.
- Positive result for the organisation
- Strengthen ties between the two branches/companies/countries
- Positive experience for the expatriate and their partner/family
- An employee entering a foreign location with no knowledge of its surroundings or environment can experience severe culture shock
- Culture: Characteristics of a group of people that are similar
- Benefits of Cross Cultural Training Programs is to evoke awareness of a foreign country's policies and practices and to reduce anxiety of ambiguous situations
'Expatriate physically visiting host country'
- Genuine and first hand experience
- Realistically assess assignment compatibility
- Experience host country business context
- Increase cultural awareness
- Must be well-organised and specific
- Not a 'tourist' experience
- Cost vs. Benefit
- Before entering a foreign country, intercultural communication training (ICT) is crucial
- Individual skills and non-work factors are necessary to have after expatriates have arrived at the foreign country
- Assistance and support before and DURING the assignment
- Companies (specifically HR) need to have a greater involvement in their employees' lives once they relocate to ensure the employee is happy, healthy, secure and able to produce a positive return for the company
- English is becoming a global language among business transactions
- Most non-English (as a first language) countries all learn English as a second language to ensure they can communicate with other countries
- English speaking countries tend to see themselves as superior as they already speak English
- Translation issues
- Be aware that words in US/UK have a different word used in Australia which can relate to the culture of the two different countries
Emma, Bec, Aadhila, Pumori, Warrick and Nicole
What are the four components of pre-departure training programs that contribute to a smooth transition to a foreign location?
- Introduction, where does pre-departure training fit in?
- Understand the four key components of pre-departure training programs
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Preliminary visits
- Language instruction
- Day-to-day assistance
"Historically, multinational firms have been plagued by the problem of premature return of expatriate managers due to their inability to adapt to the culture of the host country" (Katz & Seifer, 1996, p.32)
- Wasted time, slows down projects and work
- Loss of productivity
- Financial loss
Strategies to ensure successful and smooth transition:
- Selection process
- Pre-departure training
- Ongoing support
Where does pre-departure training fit in?