Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Empire Justinian I's Effect on the Development of the Byzantine Empire
Transcript of Empire Justinian I's Effect on the Development of the Byzantine Empire
Gained throne from uncle, Justin I Nika Revolt 532 Caused by raise in taxes (Stearns et al. 207)
Blue & Greens ("Byzantine Empire." CE)
Officers to be removed ("Byzantine Empire." BE)
Imperial Threat ("Byzantine Empire." BE)
Theodora refused to flee ("Byzantine Empire." BE)
Leaders executed ("Byzantine Empire." BE)
Strengthened Justinian I ("Byzantine Empire." BE) Government Code The Body of Civil Law (Spielvogel 123)
Corpus iuris civilis (Hooker)
Completed in 529 CE ("Byzantine Empire." BE)
Foundation of European Law (Hooker)
Known to be Justinian I's most important contribution (Spielvogel 123) 529 (Brittannica) *STABLE GOVERNMENT One set of laws implemented throughout the empire. *STRONG EMPEROR Helped centralize government
Encouraged hard work from citizens STRONG EMPEROR BYZANTINE CULTURAL IDENTITY (“Byzantine Empire to 565.”) DEVELOPMENT OF THE BYZANTINE EMPIRE STRONG GOVERNMENT A stable, long-lasting and influencial Empire Reduced confusion (Stearns et al. 207)
Improved Bureaucracy (Stearns et al. 207) RE-CONSTRUCTION of Constantinople Result of Nika Revolt Haggia Sophia/ St. Sophia Cathedral rebuilt (“Byzantine Empire.” BE)
San Vitale Church in Ravenna, Italy (Hooker)
Recorded in "On the Buildings" by Procopius (Brooks)
Establishment of Byzantine Architecture (Hooker) *BYZANTINE IDENTITY Byzantine Culture and Architecture
Seperate from Roman Culture Summary:
• Hilary Clinton publicly announced on March 23rd, 2011 that “Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi can end international military action in his country by leaving office” (Lakshmanan). She also confirmed that King Mohammed VI of Morocco has made new changes in the government, allowing for more freedom. (Lakshmanan)
Relation to Nika Revolt in Byzantine Empire in 532 CE
• Egypt: Leader did not step down
• Morocco: Avoid revolts by improving government ("Byzantine Empire." BE) Strong enough to persevere during a revolt or hard times Strengthened Bureaucracy
Encouraged hard work from citizens
Effective ruler Influential on other Empires/Kingdoms
Independent Culture THANK YOU!! ANY QUESTIONS?