Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Ella Baker
By: Rebekah Mappes
Baker was valedictorian at Shaw University.
She organized the 1960 meeting out of which SNCC (The Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee) arose. Ella gave lectures and speeches about rights. She moved around a lot in the South to raise money and organize local campaigns. Not only did she hold conferences, but she went to them too. Baker attended the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
Her grandmother got whipped from her owner because she refused to agree to an arranged marriage from her owner.
When she was 6 years old, a white boy called her the "n word", and she hit him in the face.
She worked with Martin Luther King Jr. and then married him after being divorced a few years back.
Ella was born in Norfolk, Virginia on December 13, 1903.
Ella Baker died on December 13,1986 (her birthday) in New York City at the age of 83. She died of natural causes.