Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Evaluating Achievement
How To Teach It...
How To Evaluate Achievement...
Assessing Student Learning
& Standardized Tests
What kinds of assessments have you encountered throughout your schooling career?
Let's look at how assessments influence educational decisions
in the classroom.....
1/3 TO 1/2 of your time on assessment "related" activities...
Before You Begin Teaching...
1. What content do I need to cover?
2. What are my student abilities?
3. What assessment methods are appropriate for my group?
4. What learning activities are best suited for them?
5. What learning targets do I want my students to achieve?
6. How should I organize/arrange students in the classroom?
Before, During & After...
Decisions AFTER Teaching
1. Achieving short-term & long-term goals?
2. What strengths & weaknesses do I report to each child and parent/guardian?
3. What grade should I give each student? Your system...
4. How effectively did I teach the content?
5. How effective was the curriculum & materials I used?
Buddy Up!...write down a brief paragraph describing the difference between an assessment, test, measurement & evaluation.
: Obtaining information for making educational decisions
: Instrument/procedure for observing & describing characteristics of a student with a numerical scale OR classification
(NCLB & NAEP)
: Assigning scores to a specific attribute of a person that describe the degree to which he/she possess such attribute.
: Making value judgements about the worth of a students performance. This is NOT only done using tests. You can use checklists and observations as well.
Let's Take A Look Around The World...
Do you think its possible to create a test that students can take world-wide, which could ultimately measure if students are actually learning what is needed to be a productive global citizen?
Let's look outside of the box....
So....what does this ALL mean?
Under the NCLB Act, the goal is for 100% of the students in each public school to be proficient on the state's content by 2014.
How is student learning evaluated?
Formative Vs. Summative Evaluations
Norm Referenced Vs. Criterion-referenced Evaluations
What kind were mentioned in text?
What is the difference between Authentic & Performance Assessments?
I have a few questions about
Standardized Tests & Accountability?
Do you think we are doing it the right way?
Is our current educational system working to help students, or are we working against students?
What is the definition of a "standardized test?"
If intelligence is defined as the "general aptitude for school learning," what is the difference between an aptitude test & a achievement test?
Can you explain:
Can we hold teachers accountable
for their own students scores?
Do you think you learned much in your K-12 experience? What about just high school?
Is this good/bad?
What do you think of the concept of "performance pay" for teachers?