Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of FA16_Ch.1_MDIA 2000
Special Considerations for Mass Communication
* Audience Fragmentation
* Mass Production Process
* Industrial Nature
The Communication Process
Mass media= technological instruments through which mass communication take place
Mass Media is important to both culture and society....
A media literate person is:
Knowledgeable about the influences that guide media organizations
up-to-date on political issues related to the media
sensitive to ways of seeing media content as a means of learning about culture
sensitive to the ethocal dimensions of media activities
knowledgeable about scholarship regarding media effects, anf able to enjoy media material in a sophisticated manner.
Why study mass media?
Need for media literacy
Media literacy is helpful because:
* it empowers you as a responsible media citizen
* knowing the forces and motivations behind media messages allows you to be a better judge of media content
When content traditionally confined to one medium appears on multiple channels
Convergence greatly affects the way that we interact with media today...
* reshaping media boundaries
* changing our use of the media
Culture= Ways of life that keep society together...culture is passed on to members of society through time.
Social Functions of Mass Media:
* Social currency
* Parasocial interaction
Tools of media literacy:
- Who created this message?
Evaluate the Audience
Who are the intended targets?
- How might different people understand these materials differently?
Determine the Institutional Purpose
- Why is this content being sent?
Analyze the Content
What values, lifestyles, and points of view are represented (or omitted from) the message?
Identify the Creative Techniques
What techniques are being used to attract my attention?
Mass Media and Communication
- Intrapersonal Communication
-Mediated Interpersonal Communication
What is Mass Communication?
* When an individual or institution uses technology to send messages
* Messages sent to large, mixed audience not known to the sender
* Traditional methods of mass communication being replaced by social media and online reading and viewing
* It's ubiquitous
* Rates of media consumption
* Media as pedagogical tool
* Media effects
Model of Communication (Mass Media)
5 groups of 5
Create a media example including each of the elements of communication.
Media literacy=Ability to access, analyze, evaluate and communicate messages in a variety of forms.
Media literacy strengthens audience members’ understanding of:
- Who/what the media are, and how they operate
- The messages delivered by the media
- The roles media play in society
- How audience members respond to media messages
Basic Dimensions of Media Literacy:
- Ability to intellectually process information communicated by the media
- Understanding the feelings created by media messages
- Interpreting media content from an artistic or critical point of view
- Understanding the values of the medium or the message
Groups of 4/5
Pick a piece of media.
Analyze using media literacy tools.
Media companies have become part of much larger corporations, which own a collection of other companies that may operate in highly diverse business areas.