Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Non-Communicable/Communicable Diseases
Is Autism Communicable or Non-Communicable?
No, autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), is not a communicable disease and is a non-communicable disease.
The term autism first was used by psychiatrist Eugen Bleuler in 1908. According to http://www.news-medical.net/, autism was used when he wanted to describe a schizophrenic patient who was withdrawn in his own little world.
Generally, autistic people have many complications interacting with people and understanding emotions and feelings. Like any other diseases and disorders, some people have mild conditions, while others have much more severe conditions. Some symptoms include:
avoiding eye contact and want to be alone
being very interested in people, but not know how to talk, play, or relate to them
having trouble expressing their needs using typical words or motions
having speech impairment or stuttering very often
being very unsympathetic
Body Systems Affected and How
How is this Disease obtained?
Not all causes are known, but there are likely factors such as environmental, biologic, and genetic factors:
A sibling with ASD
Born to older parents
Fragile X Syndrome or Tuberous Sclerosis
During pregnancy, if valproic acid and thalidomide in prescription drugs is ingested
Usually diagnosed when a child is between 18 months or 4 years
Autism is gradually increase without decreases up to 2010.
ASD is five times more common in boys than girls.
ASD happens in all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups.
Autism can occur in all age as well; childhood or adulthood, people can be affected with autism as old or young as they can be.
*a child with autism who is bored with blocks*
About 40% of people with autism spectrum disorder have average or above-average intelligence. The other 60% have intellectual disabilities that range from mild to severe.
Diagnosing an ASD takes two steps:
Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation
All children should be screened for developmental delays and disabilities during regular well-child doctor visits at:
24 or 30 months
Additional screening might be needed if a child is at high risk
Unfortunately, there is no cure or prevention for autism. However, there are MANY treatments for autism. Before children are age 5 or even 3, their brain is able to adapt very well. Treatments should prioritize around this age range for them to be the most effective.
social skills therapy
National Autism Association (NAA)
Phone Number: 877.622.2884
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 May 2015. Web. 9 July 2015. <
Bernier, Raphael. "Autism." KidsHealth - the Web's Most Visited Site about Children's Health. The Nemours Foundation, 2014. Web. 9 July 2015.
"Autism History." News-Medical.net. 21 Nov. 2009. Web. 10 July 2015. <
Studies in Asia, Europe, and North America have shown individuals with ASD an average prevalence of 1%.
According to CDC's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network, about 1 in 68 children are affected with autism, and this has been the most recent report from 2010.
If a body system were to be affected, it would be the nervous system. Most of what autism has to offer is offered into the brain, but the symptoms are mostly shown through behaviors.
It affects the brain by making communicating and interacting with other people more difficult.
Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation includes looking at the child’s behavior and development and interviewing the parents. It may also include hearing and vision screening, genetic testing, neurological testing, and other medical testing.
next to me say that he was autistic. I thought of disorders, and my classmate popped into my head, so I decided to research autism. I also chose autism because it is a widely known disease across countries.
*fragile X syndrome*
I chose this particular disease for a couple reasons. First of all, I went to school from 7th to 8th grade with a classmate that had unusual behaviors and couldn't normally interact with other people. At first, I thought it was just him, but in eighth grade, I overheard him say to a classmate who sat