Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
PRESIDENT MADURO AND VENEZUELA
Transcript of PRESIDENT MADURO AND VENEZUELA
What is going on in Venezuela?
(BBC) Plummeting oil prices amid economic crisis characterized by shortages of basic goods and soaring inflation.
The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (CIDH): a breakdown of democratic institutions; an increase in repression and censorship; an increase in violence and citizen insecurity; and an intensification of poverty and extreme poverty
a) Common explanation: The Maduro government is responsible for the suffering of Venezuelans.
For some, level of suffering merits international military intervention, to remove Maduro from power. Tom Rogan and Ricardo Hausman
b) Carlos Fazio: A different interpretation
, Mexican leftist newspaper
1) The crisis in Venezuela is the intended effect of the
US's unconventional war
"terrorist methodology as a form of political struggle: the illegal, premeditated, calculated and systematic use of indiscriminate and lethal violence against civilians, to provoke fear and paralyzing terror in society"
"With support from the conservative hierarchy of the local
; of a group of rightist governments of
and the hemisphere grouped in the Organization of American States (
) under the baton of Washington, and of the main
of the world; following the psychosocial and political-military tactics of the manuals of the
asymmetric, irregular or hybrid war of the US Army
,...the new escalation of the MUD will try to form a government of transition with an emergency cabinet."
2) A global conspiracy to overthrow the legitimate government of President Maduro
the Maduro government internationally and turn Venezuela into a
rogue or failed state
to justify a
by the US and its allies
“Leftist” Ricardo Hausman:
4) The United States and the
have won the
abroad (not inside), through
in which MUD’s terrorist violence is always justified and good, while the governmental response is repressive and expected of a pariah state violator of human rights
5) Maduro and Chavismo's power resides in a civic / military alliance with a strong command unit, popular organizations, and a militia of 500,000 armed men and women throughout the territory.
6) They also have the law and institutions in charge of applying them.
7) The Socialist Party is winning elections. Constitutional Assembly. Presidential elections in April. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43241884
Emphasis on internal political factors: type of government (authoritarian socialism)
IS PRESIDENT TRUMP RIGHT?
PRESIDENT MADURO'S RESPONSE
c) Tougher sanctions. Effectiveness?
a) Negotiations with the opposition for free and fair elections
d) Venezuelan migration
b) Military coup
e) International military intervention