Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Thank You M'am Day One
Transcript of Thank You M'am Day One
Thank You M'am
By: Langston Hughes
Best known for his poetry
A major part of the Harlem Renaissance: the great flowering of African American art, culture, and writing during the 1920s and 1930s.
SWBAT describe how the two main characters – Roger and Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones – are indirectly developed in “Thank You, M’am” through their descriptions, actions, and dialogue.
- The process by which the personality of a fictitious character is
throughout the story.
As readers, we look for character
We analyze and interpret the characters descriptions, dialogue and actions in order to
gain a deeper understanding
2 minutes- Make an inference about Roger's personality
1 minute- Pair with your partner and discuss your answers
5-7 minutes- Share and discuss our answers as a class
Tried to steal purse
Doesn't know right from wrong
Frail and willow-wild. Dirty Face
Rough- Home Life
"There's nobody at my house"
Not much support or guidance
Tall, Big, Strong
Picked up and shook the boy
Strong, No-Nonsense Woman
"Um-hum! Your face is dirty. I got a great mind to wash your face for you."
Firm yet nurturing
Ms. Luella Bates Washington Jones
When we meet new people we immediately make observations and start to understand their personalty.
When YOU meet someone, what do you notice about them? How do you decide what kind of person they are?
1. As readers, we look for these THREE things when analyzing a character's personality.
2. What is indirect characterization?
3. How are Roger and Ms. Luella Bates Washington Jones indirectly characterized in the story “Thank You M’am?” Use one example from the text for each character. Write at least 6 sentences.
Dynamic/ Round Character
: Character who undergoes a significant
throughout the story. ex: change in personality
Static/ Flat Character
: Character who does
NOT undergo a significant change
in the story, as in personality.