Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Basics of Life: Processes & Cells
Transcript of Basics of Life: Processes & Cells
All Living Things...
All Living things share the same
1. Are made of CELLS
3. Are based on Genetic Code
4. GROW & DEVELOP
5. Need Materials & Energy
6. Respond to the Environment
7. Maintain Internal Environment
-Change over time
Levels of Organization
1. Atoms - basic unit of matter
2. Molecule - atoms held together by chemical bonds
3. Organelle - a cell component that
carries out a specific function
4. Cell - the basic unit of life
5. Tissue - more than one cell type making up
a functional unit
6. Organ - a group of tissues carrying out a function
7. Organism - a single living thing
8. Species - a group of organisms that can breed
and produce fertile offspring in the wild
9. Population - all members of a
species in an area
10. Community - all populations of all species in an area
11. Ecosystem - all biological communities
and non-living parts of environment
12. Biosphere - entire surface of earth where life occurs
1. Cellular Organization
2. The Chemicals of Life
3. Energy Use
4. Response to Surroundings
5. Growth & Development
LIFE COMES FROM LIFE
For thousands of years, people believed that living things could be created through
PROVEN WRONG with controlled experiments
Previously - it was believed that maggots came from rotting meat
Once he covered meat with cheesecloth, no maggots appeared
Broth became contaminated when left open to air
When boiled & sealed, no bacteria grew (no air though)
When boiled in S-flask, air could come in, but no bacteria formed
When neck is broken, bacteria can come back in
BOTH CONTROLLED EXPERIMENTS HELPED PROVE SPONTANEOUS GENERATION WAS NOT TRUE!
THE NEEDS OF LIVING THINGS
ALL LIVING THINGS NEED
THE SAME FOUR BASIC THINGS
All living things need water to survive.
Most organisms can live for a few days at most without it.
Organisms need water to obtain chemicals from their surroundings, break down food, grow, move substances within their bodies, and reproduce.
ALL ORGANISMS NEED FOOD TO GET THEIR ENERGY!
NOT ALL ORGANISMS NEED TO EAT TO GET IT!
AUTOTROPHS - use an energy source to build their own food molecules, then store them for future use
HETEROTROPHS - can not make their own food; need to consume other living things somehow to get it
All organisms need an environment that provides its basic needs
Very often, there is competition between members of the same or different species for these resources
An organism can not survive if it does not keep conditions in their cells or internal structures suitable for reactions
This is why many of the life processes are necessary - EX nutrition, excrete, sensitivity