Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Shakespeare's London
Shakespeare baptised 26th April 1564
He died 23 April 1616
Shakespeare in London app. 1590-1613
The Renaissance 1485-1625
A.k.a. The Elisabethan Era
Rebirth of Classical (Greek/Roman) thought
Focus on Man & life on Earth
The Birth of Venus (1485)
Why did the Renaissance happen?
1. The fall of Constantinople led to a great brain drain.
Life in London
Drinking and prostitution
The city was prosperous and the entertainment industry was booming...
Talent and entertainers from all over Britain flocked to London
London at the time was socially and politically unstable and very violent...
It was religiously unstable
There were two fundamentalist groups:
1. The Catholics
2. The Puritans (Protestants)
The Puritans were in charge of London City
and they didn't like the theatre. It was sinful!
Queen Elisabeth loved the theatre, so she patronized the theatres and made sure they could exist outside the city walls.
13% of the population went to the theatre once a week. And they enjoyed tragic stories, hilarious comedies, violent action, sex jokes and the like.
The entertainment district was ripe with other offers as well:
Competition was hard - society was violent - and so was the entertainment offered.