Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Atmosphere and Weather
Transcript of Atmosphere and Weather
- Weather changes occur.
- the more you go up in it the colder it gets. Stratosphere - The second layer
- has ozone
- increases in temperature. Mesosphere - The third layer.
- The coldest layer.
- Most meteors burn up here. Thermosphere - Hottest and highest layer.
- absorbs sunlight and creates a higher temperature Tonight - Troposphere
Snakes - Stratosphere
Make - Metosphere
Tea - Thermosphere Weather - Occurs in the troposphere at a particular time in a particular place.
- can be hot or cold
-wet or dry
-calm or stormy Climate - The average weather of a place.
- Tennessee has a mild climate with warm summers and cool winters.
- Rain usually falls in the winter and early spring.
- temperature and average percipitation are important in determining climate.
- Latitude has the biggest effect on climate.
- Why is this? 1. What is the climate of Northern TN?
2. What is the climate of Louisiana?
3. What is the climate of Southern FL? Oceans affect of temperature on land.
- What happens when you put your hand over a sink with warm water? - That's right! It warms the air around your hand and you are thus able to feel the warmth.
- Well the Ocean works in much the same way.
- When the cooler winter air rushes over the warmer ocean water then the air is warmed as it would be in that warm sink water.
- This causes the temperature of places that are costal (or near the water) to be warmer.
- What would be a good example of this in the USA?
- Durring the summer months the warm air runs across the water and is cooled by the cooler water temperature.
- This causes the temperature of these areas to cool off a bit more in the summers. Current - The movement of ocean water. The gulf stream runs along the east coast of the USA and carries warm water from near the equator toward the poles.
What do you think this does to the climate of an area? It warms the land areas near it. (The Gulf Stream)
Ocean currents move heat around the world in the oceans.
- They also warm the atmosphere of the world through wator vapor.
-Water vapor occurs when heat energy from the sunlight causes water to evaporate. Most of this occurs around the equator.
Why is this? How do mountains affect climate?
Altitude - The measure of how high a place is above sea level.
The higher the altitude the cooler the climate.
-For example at the peak of a mountain you might find permanent ice and snow.
Rain patterns can also be affected by mountain ranges.
One side of a mountain range may recieve a lot of rain while the other recieves very little.
Windward side - The side of a mountain that warm moist air moves up and as it cools quickly creates water vapor and as the vapor condenses it creates rainfall on one side of the mountain.
Leeward side - The side of the mountain that the air moves down that is dry and hot.
Rain Shadow - The dry area on the leeward side of the mountain. El Nino - Every 2 to 7 years the cold current sinks and stops pushing cold water up to the surface.
This causes the air pressure to decrease (this happens near Peru).
This can cause the winds to switch directions and stop blowing from the west and start blowing from the East.
The winds move ocean water and cause higher tides on the coasts of North and South America.
The winds also move moist air causing heavy rains and storms.
All of this just because the hot and cold water stom moving like they normally do.
What do you think about this?