Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Hercules Beetle Life Cycle
Transcript of Hercules Beetle Life Cycle
will remain in the larval stage for up to a year
longest stage in the Hercules beetles' life
main purpose is feeding
become dormant in this stage
their body prepares for the exoskeleton that will later form
enter 3 stages of molting, called instars
male beetles will become extremely aggressive
use their upper and lower horns to fight other males
try to kill or paralyze the opponent to win the female
the female beetle lays up to 50 eggs in the nest
the eggs are often laid close to a food source
The Life of Henry the Hercules Beetle
sexually dimorphic, meaning there is variation in the male and female forms
originally thought to be different species
only live for a few months in this stage
main purpose is reproduction
By: Nicole Lin
1. How many brothers and sisters did Henry have?
2. What is Henry's main purpose in the larval stage?
3. When will Henry's exoskeleton develop?
a. he is born with one
b. in the larval stage
c. in the pupa stage
Hercules beetles communicate through pheromones, sounds, or vibrations since they cannot see well
Hercules beetles undergo complete metamorphosis
Henry can grow to be up to 10mm and 120g in his larvae form
Hercules beetles can lift up to 850 times their body weight