Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Isotopes in Biological tracing
Transcript of Isotopes in Biological tracing
isotopes are introduced into a substance for
determining the origin of the substance, the amount of radio active isotopes in substance. In biological tracing the isotopes used are mostly stable isotopes. Stable Isotopes - always maintain constant concentrations on earth over time Since they maintain constant on earth, they are often used to track down a substance One of the substances tracked down using stable isotopes is Illegal Marijuana. The police department uses biological research to investigate the origin of marijuana cultivated in the United States. "Stable isotopes a signature on plant materials and things that are derived from plants. Using them, you can get information about where something grew and its growth environment"
- Dr. West Stable isotope ratio analysis of precipitation reveals a global geographic pattern that can be described by models relating latitude and altitude to the stable isotope ratio values of precipitation. These isotopes ratio pattern can then be used to to generate global maps of precipitation isotope landscapes, or isoscapes. Isotope used for tracing Marijuana is.... HYDROGEN -Because the hydrogen atoms of a plant source are incorporated into organic molecules during biosynthesis, plant tissues from different geographic locations should record isotopic variations in source water.
-Variations of in the hydrogen isotopes of water used during cultivation should therefore be reflected in the hydrogen isotopes of marijuana tissues. Carbon isotope ratio also record aspects of a plant's growth environment.
- Carbon in a plants material reflects the isotopes CO2 incorporated during photosynthesis and the responsiveness to humidity in the growth enviroment.
- The CO2 of indoor growth environments will have lower carbon isotope ratios than outdoor conditions because respired CO2 in the indoor environments does not mix completely with atmosphere. Other than drugs...
Isotopes have been used to.. Blood Doping Many athletes are required to take a blood doping test to see if the athlete has been using drugs before the competition. Identify the birthplace of exotic animals. The scientists use the isotopes found in an animal's body and the compare them to the ratios in earth to find their place of origin. Diseases and Irregularities. Stable isotopes are inserted inside the human body with the purpose of searching for disease and regularities. It is always important to figure out where a substance, an animal and diseases come from to try to exclude the most illegal substances as possible, to prevent exotic animal from being extinct and to find an understanding to the diseases of the human being. References:
o http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/science/21mari.html THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.
LOTS OF LOVE,