Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of capla 2017
Addressing the Challenges of Soft Skill Assessment
1. ESTABLISHES A COMMON LANGUAGE
2. BUILDS ASSESSMENT TEAM
3. BASES ASSESSMENTS ON OBSERVATIONS IN SIMULATED WORK ENVIRONMENT
4. INCORPORATES REPEATED SELF AND STAFF ASSESSMENTS
5. USES CONSENSUS TO CONTROL SUBJECTIVITY
6. SUPPORTS SKILL DEVELOPMENT PLANNING
7. DEMONSTRATES DISTANCE TRAVELLED
First, what skills are we talking about? They have many different names:
- life skills
- personal management skills
- 'soft' skills
- employability skills
ESAT SOFT SKILLS:
* can be adjusted to meet local needs
Definitions and exemplars for:
Futureworx is an enterprising non-profit dedicated to helping people with barriers connect with and keep meaningful employment.
We place an emphasis on so called 'soft' skills.
Futureworx partners with ABC Life Literacy and other organizations across Canada to develop tools and resources to assess and develop soft skills.
The impact of deficits in these areas are far reaching...
They are critical to client success, so we need to assess
develop these skills. Yet we struggle to do so.
Self-assessments often do not reflect reality - especially the first time. Staff assessments are subjective, can contain personal bias, apply only in specific environments, or may simply be based on misunderstood behaviours.
Bottom line - it takes time to assess soft skills accurately.
- accuracy grows as you understand the behaviours
- the assessment that matters is the last one.
Dealing with soft skill issues is often avoided. Why?
2. Wanting to be liked
People avoid conflict. They fear anger. They fear consequences. They rationalize to avoid what they don't want to do.
2. Train to do this work. Practice.
3. Focus discussion on how the employer will react.
4. Build trust - make a personal commitment
to the client. Honesty IS respect.
5. Be courageous. This work is hard, but hugely rewarding.
Wanting to be liked
We all want to be liked, but a friend is not what people need practitioners to be. Enabling deficit behaviours is denying clients an opportunity to grow.
1. Set expectations of a work place and challenge clients to meet them.
2. Honour those expectations from the start.
3. Show firm compassion.
4. Be consistent, honest, objective, and respectful.
FOR MORE ON
CONTACT PAUL BRINKHURST
1. Employment Training Programs
- in program & post program
2. PWD Community Engagement
7. Employer Support (in dev.)
8. High School /Youth Programs
3. Adult Literacy (upskillsforwork.ca)
4. Employment Service Centres
5. Immigrant Support Programs
6. RPL Strategies
4. Client Buy In
Client Buy In
Practitioners fear that clients will exit programming if they address soft skills .
1. Integrate training - mix soft, technical and essential skills. Tech skills are the 'hook'.
2. Build a coaching relationship - clients will respond to the challenge if they believe you care.
3. Honesty and consistency are critical.
is designed to support effective soft skill assessment & development.
4. Establish a common language and expectations - assessors must be on same page.
Soft skill behaviours take time to observe and understand correctly, but people are already busy and the pressure is to keep interventions short.
1. Design programs with time for assessment and development of soft skills (not just workshops).
2. Manage subjectivity by involving multiple assessors and seeking consensus.
2. Use all opportunities for assessment (interviews, classes, breaks etc.). Create a simulated work place!
3. Work cooperatively in teams to capture full picture of behaviours. Teams can involve cross organizational links.
1. Normalize soft skills work - make it expected.
1. Repeated self and staff assessments are needed.
3. Observe in different environments.
9. Work Rehabilitation