Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of South Korea
South Korean industry remarkably developed under Park Chung-hee's leadership by shifting focus on export-oriented industrialization.
With this, South Korea claimed success with companies such as Samsung and LG.
Agricultural/ Natural Resources
Korean 97.7 %
US white 0.1%
Han Chinese 0.1%
Birth Rate: 8.26 births/1,000 population
Death Rate: 6.63 deaths/1,000
Independence Date: August 15, 1945
By: Thuy Vy Nguyen
Revolution/ Independence Movement
Tuberculosis (TB): a infectious bacterial disease in tissues
Symptoms: chest pains, fever, etc
Stroke: when blood flow to a part of the brain stops
- People can have a higher risk of getting stroke if they have diabetes, heart diseases, smoking, high blood pressure
Air pollution in large cities
Water pollution from discharge of sewage and industrial effluents
Current Government System
Cold War: 1947-1990
Korean War: June 25,1950 - July 27,1953
Republic of Korea (South Korea) - United Nations
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) - China and Soviet Union
As a result, South and North Korea divided into two nations
Syngman Rhee - 1st President of South Korea
Early invasions were launched by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Invasions came to a halt after his death in September 1958.
Korea was administered by Japan in 1914 until after WWII.
Current Political System: Unitary presidential constitutional republic
South Korea's current and first woman president, Park Geun-hye.
Languages Spoken: Korean(Writing System: Hangul) and English
hydro power potential
Ferry Sewol - April 16, 2014
- Total: 476 people
- Death Toll: 288 dead, with 16 missing
- Captain: Lee Joon-Seok
- Captain and Crew Members receive death sentence
almost half of South Korea's population have no religious preference
same government system: executive, judicial, and legislative branches
one 5 yr term of presidency
US alliance with South Korea
1.CIA.gov <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ks.html>, May 20, 2014
2. Dresnerworld.edu <http://dresnerworld.edublogs.org/resources/handouts/korea-1872-1953/>, May 21, 2014
3. Korea.net <http://www.korea.net/AboutKorea/Economy/Overview>, May 20, 2014
4. Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Chung-hee>, May 22, 2014
5. Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi #Decline_and_death>, May 22, 2014
6. WorldStatesMen.org <http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Korea_South.htm>, May 21, 2014
South Korea GDP evolution from 1911 to 2008
Current Leader: Park Geun-hye
Presidential Election: Every 5 years (ages 20+ vote)
Samil Independence Movement
- started in March 1, 1919
- 2,000,000 participated
- Emperor Gojong: strong supporter of Korean Independence
August 15, 1945
- liberated from 35 yrs. of Japanese Colonial Rule
Friends of the Earth
7.6% Roman Catholic
President Park meets Obama in the Oval Office