Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Modal verbs
- Are auxiliary verbs
- They have different grammar. Ex: they have no –s on the 3d person singular
- We use before other verbs
- They work with the main verb to
add extra meaning to a sentence MODAL VERBS - ABILITY
- LACK OF OBLIGATION
- SUGGESTION POSSIBILITY - Present or future May, Might (+, -, ? ) - Past Might, May (+, -, ? ) Have + PP Could (+, ? ) + Have + PP Could (+, ? ) Example: I could have gone to the party, but I didn't OBLIGATION - Present or future Have to (external obligation) - Past Must (internal or strong obligation) Had to + Infinitive PROHIBITION - Present or future Mustn't - Past Hadn't to Can't NECESSITY - Present or future - Past Needed to Need to LACK OF OBLIGATION - Present or future Needn't - Past Needn't + Have + PP (You did it) Didn't + Have to/Need to + Infinitive (You didn't do it) Don't have to ADVICE - Present or future Should - Past Should + Have + PP Ought to /Ought not to
(More formal) Ought to * Had better/ Had better not (present) Threats and strong advice DEDUCTION - Present or future - Past ABILITY - Present Can - Past Could ( General ability) Was/Were able to ( Particular ability) PERMISSION - Present Can Questions Informal: Can Formal: - Can
- May - Past Could ( General actions) Was/Were allowed to ( Specific actions) (+) Must (-) Can't (+) Must (-) Can't + Have + PP Example: You can't have seen him. He's in London - Future Be able to Example: He injured his foot, but he was able to continue playing.
I couldn't find my trainers yesterday Example: Last night, I was allowed to stay out till midnight
I couldn't stay out late when I was a teenager Example: I had to study last week for the exam Example: You mustn't smoke Example: I need to get fitter Example: I needn't have taken my swimming costume (I took my swimming costume, but I didn't need it) Example: You'd better not crash my car, or I'll be furious! SUGGESTION - Shall - Could - Would Example: Shall we dance? Example: We could go to the cinema? Example: Would you go to the zoo?