Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Knowledge Cities
Case study 1: Knowledge Cities for Environmental Awareness
Canberra Urban Forest Plan 2008
Case study 2: Knowledge Cities for Democracy
Is there a difference between a rural and an urban website?
Cities as centres of knowledge:
- industrial capital: 'the age of cities'
- human capital:
- knowledge clusters
- creative cities
- digital capital
- smart cities
Charles Booth - 1898-99
Introduction: the knowledge city in historical context
Cities in the 21st century
What is new?
- the development and diffusion of ICT
- data and the internet of things
- social media and many to many communications
- increasingly complex or 'wicked' urban problems?
Melbourne's Urban Forest Strategy 2013
Melbourne Knowledge Week
Key question: how can this kind of crowdsourced 'inexpert' information be effectively used by city governments?
Case study 3: Public wifi
- city fibre networks
- 801.11 (Wi-Fi) standard
- first Wi-Fi wave municipalities
- private companies
- community groups
- ubiquitous coverage
- investment rationales
- spectrum regulation
- access vs. security
- citizen expectation
- digital divide
- what are the uses of data?
Dr Ian McShane
A/Prof Marco Amati
CityGuard: your direct link to Abu Dhabi government 2014