Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Comparing The Birth of Ballet vs. Hip-Hop Dance
Transcript of Comparing The Birth of Ballet vs. Hip-Hop Dance
Ballet In Russia
-Don Campbell, or known as Don Campbellock, was born on January 7, 1951 in Saint Louis, Missouri
-Founders of The Lockers (1973) = Don Campbell and Toni Basil
- Incorporated striped socks, pegged pants that stopped at the knees, bright colorful satin shirts with big collars, big colorful bow ties, gigantic Apple Boy hats, and white gloves into dancing style.
-Sam “Boogaloo Sam” Soloman was from Fresno, California and was the “inventor” of “popping.”
- “The Electric Boogaloos” (1977) = Sam Soloman, Nate Johnson and Joe Thomas.
-Created signature move “Electric Boogaloo.”
-The styles for the crew consisted of khaki slacks or dress shirts and/or blazers.
Comparing both Ballet and Hip-Hop Dance
When/Where did it start?
What is the attire?
Where was it preformed before and now?
What are the 3 styles of the dance?
It started in New York City around the 1960's.
It says it on the power point but for "locking" it was colorful with stripes and for "popping" they wore khaki pants and dress shirts.
Before, it was in the streets and now its very audience based and in venues.
Breaking, popping and locking are three styles for Hip-Hop Dance.
Three styles of ballet are classical,
Neo-classical, and contemporary.
Ballet’s influences reached the U.S. and has been a popular dance form.
Ballet began to wane in Paris After 1850, but it flourished in Russia thanks to masters such as Marius Petipa.
By founding the Ballet Russes in 1909, Diaghilev brought fourth a vision that various forms of art could come together onstage.
This opened the eyes of the Russian Empire to establish ballet companies of their own
The performance of “ Ballet Comique de la Royne” in 1581 is said to be the “birth of ballet”. It was a court entertainment for Catherine de Medici, the queen consort of France who was married to King Henry II.
The Academic Royale de Musique ( the Paris Opera) founded by King Louis XIV in 1669, gave life to the first professional theatrical ballet company , the Paris Opera Ballet.
Balthasar de Beaujoyeulx was a servant of Catherine de Medici who created the scenario, choreographed, stage managed, and directed “ Comique de la Royne”.
Ballet In France
Ballet today continues to spread and change; another dance form heard in music and seen in dance is Hip-Hop
There are many important
people in the history of Ballet in
George Balanchine was a choreographer from
Saint Petersburg, Russia. He came to the United
States in 1933.
His first ballet choreography in America was
named SERENADE, and it had its own premier in
New York (1934).
Ballet In America
Old School Style
• DJ Kool Herc is a Jamaican-born American DJ who is credited with originating hip hop music in the early 1970s in The Bronx, New York City
• The Rock Steady Crew, the original four members were Joe-Joe, Easy- Mike, Jimmy-Dee, and P.Body 170th.
• The Early Moves, Some of the earliest dancing by b-boy pioneers was done upright, a form which became known as "top rockin'." The structure and form of top rockin' has infused dance forms and influences from Brooklyn uprocking, tap, lindi hop, James Brown's "good foot," salsa, Afro-Cuban and various African and Native American dances.
Now let's move on to the West Coast.
Later on the West and East coast fused together to create what is called New School Style.
Ballet was performed in courts for the wealthy. Today Ballet is performed on stage.
Ballet dancers are well known for their black leotards, pink tights and pink ballet shoes. Ballet dancers perform in costumes; the type of costume depends on the theme of the performance.
Jessica is doing the "locking".
Evelin is doing the "freeze" and "headstand".
Modern Hip-Hop has its root from the fusion that happened in the 1980’s.
In the 1980’s West Coast and East Coast style Hip-Hop fused together because both styles of music were similar.
Hip-Hop has always awed the audience with its music and also captured their attention with its astonishing dance techniques.
Now we will compare Ballet and Hip-Hop
Otto doing some hip-hop poses.
Mariely is in the 1st Position.
Ballet started in Paris with the performance of "Ballet Comique de la Royne" in 1581 at the Palais du Petit Bourbon.
Sarah is moving into the 2nd and 3rd position.
Natalie is in 4th and 5th position.