Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
SI Units & Metric System
Transcript of SI Units & Metric System
Metric System Why SI System? 7 Fundamental properties
of Physics - 7 base units 1954 - decided on six base units for length, mass, time, temperature, electric current, and luminous intensity
1960 - added quantity as a base unit Standardized measurements for
science and commerce Adopted globally with a few
exceptions US, Burma & Liberia Uses metric prefixes -
powers of 10 Metric System Adopted in France in 1791 1875 - Metre Convention -
wanted uniformity for metrology After WWII, still many
countries with customary
systems or metric variations Base Units vs. Derived Units Base units represent different physical properties
All other units can be derived from base units
Example: Volume = length x length x length or m^3
Example: Electric charge (coulomb) 1 C = 1 A*s Metric Prefixes to Know...