Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Place Value
2,2 2 2
The value of every digit depends on its place
The flat represents ones (1), the rod represents one tenth (0.1 or 1/10), the unit represents one hundredth (0.01 or 1/100).
Split up into 4 groups.
Each group will represent a decimal number, written on the board, using the grids.
The decimal number is formed of two parts: The whole part and the fraction part
The decimal point is read as
Stress the "
" sound when reading a place in the decimal part (tenth, hundredth, .....).
The principle of Zero as place holder
Common Difficulties With Place Value
The decimal part is less than one whole.
Place value is the basis of our entire system
Represent Decimals Graphically
10x10 Grid papers
1 1 9 One and nineteen hundredths
0 0 8 Eight hundredths
1 3 6 One and thirty-six hundredths
0 7 Seven tenths
Each student takes an empty place value chart.
Fill out the charts with the names of the place- value places.
Place the decimal numbers written at the board in the chart correctly.
Read each number you wrote.
Place value charts