Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Working with Muslim Students
Transcript of Working with Muslim Students
Durriya A. Meer, Psy.D.
Johns Hopkins University
"30 second public service announcement on Islam"
What is Islam?
Two major sects:
Sunnis and Shia
85% vs. 15%
Succession after Mohammad
The 5 pillars of Sunni belief
Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophet hood of Muhammad;
Establishment of the daily prayers;
Concern for and alms-giving to the needy (zakat);
Self-purification through fasting;
The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able
Muslims in the USA
Being targeted for a hate crime
Finding a job
Presenting concerns that may increase religious-cultural conflicts
Dating and pre-marital sex
3rd of the Abrahamic religion
One God - Allah
Mohammad - Rasul
1.6 billion Muslims (23%)
2nd largest religion after Christianity
Indonesia - largest Muslim population
Iran and Turkey
Prescriptive and proscriptive
2 biggest fears?
Who are Muslims?
The 7 pillars of Shia belief
Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca)
How can a UCC and its staff support Muslim students?
1. Proactively connect with Muslim groups (not just as a reaction to events)
2. Connect with faculty, staff and organizations (the local mosque)
3. Professional development for staff and interns
1. All Arabs are Muslims
2. Islam is a monolithic religion
4. Muslims are recent immigrants
3. Muslims worship a different God
5. Muslim women have no rights
What do these words mean?
Understand basic concepts in Islam
Prepare clinicians for working with Muslim trainees/students
Strategies to support Muslim trainees and students in current environment
1. Gender relationships - concept of purdah/
2. Prayer times
3. Religious days/periods
4. Use of right vs left hand
5. Eye contact
6. Physical touch -Hand shakes, hugs
7. Social events - alcohol, pork, halal food
Factors to consider when working with Muslim students
All Muslims are Arabs
6. Jihad means Holy War
7. Stoning to death/cutting of hands is a punishment that is acceptable in Islam.
8. Polygamy is regularly practiced in Islam.
9. Muslim women must be covered (wear hijab, abaya, burqa)
at all times.
12. Use of language/terms
8. Importance of culture
9. Family systems
10. The role of religion
10. Islam promotes honor killing of women.
11. Ramadan is a month of not eating and drinking.
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:f7d8d5e1-9255-4cf6-9b8b-14f0f3ead239" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div></div>