Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Gay Marriage in Society
Transcript of Gay Marriage in Society
- 6 U.S. states allow civil unions between same-sex couples, but not marriage (CO, DE, HI, IL, NJ, RI)
- 1,138 federal benefits to marriage (SS, Housing, Taxation, Naturalization, Property)
- 15% of Americans live in states where same-sex marriage is legal
- U.S. Supreme court ruled that it is unconstitutional to criminalize sodomy in 2003
- Brazil, Mexico, and the US are the only countries where same-sex marriage is legal in some areas
- 3.5% (~ 9 mil.) identify themselves as lesbian, gay, or bisexual
- 646,000 same-sex couple households in the U.S.
- 7% of same-sex couple households live in states that recognize same-sex marriage
- 115,064 same-sex couple households with children
- ME, MD and WA became the first states where voters legalized gay marriage on November 6, 2012 Why Not Civil Unions? - Recognition: Marriages are recognized state to state, civil unions are not
- Immigration: A U.S. citizen who is married can sponsor his/her non-American opposite-sex spouse for immigration into this country, those with civil unions have no such privilege. Even legally married gay and lesbian couples cannot sponsor their spouses for immigration because of the DOMA law
- Taxes: Couples cannot file joint-tax returns or be eligible for tax breaks or protections the government affords to married couples. They have to file single on their federal tax returns
- Social Security: Surviving spouses of working Americans are eligible to receive SS payments. A surviving spouse caring for a deceased employee’s child is also eligible for an additional support payment. These benefits are denied to gay and lesbian Americans because they cannot marry
- Medical: Spouses can make emergency medical decisions, same-sex partners get questioned
- Death/Will: Many times the state does not honor the will because it's not "legal" Gay Marriage in Our Society By: Jade Yee and
Minh Nguyen Netherlands Belgium Spain Canada South Africa Norway Massachusetts Connecticut Sweden Iowa Vermont New Hampshire D.C. Portugal Iceland Argentina New York Washington Maryland Denmark Maine Uruguay New Zealand France CNN Support for Legal Same-Sex Marriage by Age, 1996-2012 68% of Americans were opposed to same sex marriage in 1996
48% of Americans were opposed to same-sex marriage in 2012 Marriage is about love, commitment, and family. "Freedom to Marry's" Roadmap to Victory is the three track strategy to end marriage discrimination in the United States. Since 2004 a growing number of states and the District of Columbia have ended same sex couple exclusion from marriage. By winning more states, we'll prove that families are helped and no one is harmed. Marriage matters to gay families and together we'll transform momentum by asking our friends and family to stand for the Freedom to Marry.
Freedom to Marry But can’t a lawyer set all this up for gay and lesbian couples?
No. A lawyer can set up some things like durable power of attorney, wills and medical power of attorney. There are several problems with this, however:
1. It costs thousands of dollars in legal fees. A simple marriage license, which usually costs under $100 would cover all the same rights and benefits.
2. Any of these can be challenged in court. As a matter of fact, more wills are challenged than not. In the case of wills, legal spouses always have more legal power than any other family member.
3. Marriage laws are universal. If someone’s husband or wife is injured in an accident, all you need to do is show up and say you’re his or her spouse. You will not be questioned. If you show up at the hospital with your legal paperwork, the employees may not know what to do with you. If you simply say, "He's my husband," you will immediately be taken to your spouse's side. Human Rights Campaign "I think that it is looked at and some people are saying the same that Blacks and women did not have the right to vote... and it feels like there is this old way in thinking that we are not all the same. We are all the same people. All of us. You're no different than I am, our love is the same, so to me what it feels like... It feels when someone says you can have a contract and you'll still have insurance and get all that, it sounds to me like saying, "well you can sit there, you just can't sit there." That's what it sounds like to me. It doesn't feel inclusive. It feels isolated. It feels like we aren't owed the same things and the same wording.
- Ellen Degeneres to John McCain npr Ten Reasons Against Gay Marriage
1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5. straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour-just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
7. Obviously gay parent's will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not suppored by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.
9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't aadapted to cars, the service-secter economy, or longer life spans. Dec. 21, 2000
109-33 Rep Feb. 13, 2003
91-22 Rep June 30, 2005 May 17, 2010 July 19, 2005 Nov. 29, 2006
229-41 Nat. Ass. April 1, 2009
226-22 June 17, 2008
23-17 Upper House
84-41 Lower June 7, 2012
85-24 June 11, 2010
49-0 July 21, 2010
125-109 Chamb. of Dep. April 10, 2013
71-21 Cham. of Dep.
23-8 Senate April 17, 2013
77-44 April 23, 2013