Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
My Little Brony: Fandoms are Magic
Transcript of My Little Brony: Fandoms are Magic
1) a term used predominately to refer to male (and female) fans outside of the target demographic of "My Little Pony Friendship is Magic".
See also: "Pegasister"
Background on MLP: FiM
In October 2010, Hasbro reboots the My Little Pony franchise.
Today it has over 12.4 million followers in the US alone!
MLP started in the 1980s as a way to sell toys.
In 2010, Hasbro launches the Hub TV channel, and hires Lauren Faust to produce the show.
The "Mane" six
"Cartoons for girls don’t have to be a puddle of smooshy, cutesy-wootsy, goody-two-shoeness. Girls like stories with real conflict; girls are smart enough to understand complex plots."
Origins of a Fandom
1) a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest
People started to discuss MLP on 4chan's co/ board.
Le history of 4chan
4chan is an image board responsible for most of the internet and meme culture of the 21st Century.
Ponies invade 4chan
Bronies held their first convention in 2011 with 100 attendees.
BronyCon 2013 had 8,400 people!
Dozens of Brony conventions are help each year across 6 continents.
What could make adults like a girl's cartoon about candy-colored ponies?
MLP: FiM has amazing music!
Daniel Ingram composes the music for the show.
MLP: FiM has superb animation!
MLP: FiM teaches lessons that viewers of all ages can relate to.
These messages are complex and not dumbed down for kids.
...it makes us smile.
Bronies share inside jokes and gestures to build a sense of community.
Each brony convention ends with a charity auction, raising thousands of dollars for charity.
“Love and tolerate”
was created to deal with trolling and hatred in pony related threads, while staying true to the show’s message of friendship and kindness.
...so much creative content.
Is the brony phenomenon culturally important?