Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Orthodontic Archwires
The Stress/Strain Curve
The Size of the Wire
The Shape of the Wire
Shape Memory Effect and Superelasticity
Contemporary Orthodontics, 5th Edition, Proffitt
Kapila, S., and Sachdeva, R. (1989). Mechanical properties and clinical applications of orthodontic wires. American Journal of
Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, 96(2):100-109.
Kusy, RP. 1997. A review of contemporary archwires: Their properties and characteristics. The Angle Orthodontist, 67(3):197-207.
Mitchell, L. An Introduction to Orthodontics, 4rth ed. United Kingdom: Oxford, (2013), p.220-221.
Retrieved Feb 1, 2014 from: http://books.google.ca/books?id=dIdoAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA220&lpg=PA220&dq=archwire+round+tooth+movement&source=bl&ots=j3K8nEIA67&sig=SLbmv861ogcVXZdlNG0PhpXh2_s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dx_tUoX-A7LlyAGw7oC4Dw&ved=0CHAQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q&f=false
Archwhire cross sectional shapes (image). Retrieved on Feb 1, 2014 from:http://doctorspiller.com/Orthodontics/orthodontics2.htm
Braces cartoon (image). Retrieved on Feb 2, 2014 from: https://www.google.ca/url?
Root torque (image). Retrieved on Feb 2, 2014 from:http://askanorthodontist.com/braces/how-do-braces-work/
- Up until 1930's, only available in gold material.
- Since then, cobalt-chromium, nickel-titanium, beta-titanium have been introduced
- Orthodontist makes decision as to which material to use at particular stage of treatment
- Decision made based on clinical result desired and which wire material will best produce such demands within their mechanical properties