Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
A structural approach of teaching English!
Transcript of A structural approach of teaching English!
on the assumption that language can best be learnt
through a scientific selection and grading of structures
or patterns of sentences and vocabulary.
The stress is on the learning of essential
structures of English. REMEMBER! The Objectives of the Structural Approach According to Menon and Patel the following are the objectives of the new Structural Approach: Characteristics of the Structural Approach
The concept of English structure system depends
upon three main characteristic:
1. Word Order.Word Order or the "patterns of form" is of primary importance in learning English language. It is the order of words in a pattern that makes true meaning clear.
2. Presence of Function Words. The structural devices make use of another important principle. This is the essential use of 'function words' or "structural words".
3. Use of a small number of Inflections. Another important characteristic is that English language makes use of a small number of inflections as compared to other languages. Principles of the structural approach 1. Forming language habits. The Structural Approach gives due importance to the forming of language habits. The learners should acquire the habit of arranging words in English standard sentence patterns through language drills.2. Important of speech. The Structural Approach regards speech as more important than reading and writing. Speech is the necessary means of fixing firmly all ground work.3. Importance of pupil's activity. The Structural Approach puts more emphasis on pupil's activity than on the teacher's. It is the child who is the learner, so he must be actively involved in the teaching-learning process. In the words of Menon and Patel: "The Structural Approach is based on the belief that in the learning of a foreign language, mastery of structures is more important than the acquisition of vocabulary." This approach employs techniques of the Direct Method of teaching but the use of translation is not wholly discarded.
Teaching is done in situations.
Speech is mainly stressed but
reading and writing are not
neglected! Structural Approach is essentially
what the term implies-an approach
and not a method as such.
It is not proper and correct to call the Structural Approach a method of teaching. It is not a method; it is an approach. Any method can be used with it 1. To lay the foundation of English by establishing through drill and repetition about 275 graded structures.
2. Important of speech. The Structural Approach regards speech as more important than reading and writing. Speech is the necessary means of fixing firmly all ground work.
3. To correlate the teaching of grammar and composition with the reading lessons.
4. To teach the four fundamental skills, namely understanding, speaking, reading and writing in the order named.
5. To lay proper emphasis on the aural-oral approach, active methods and the condemnation of formal grammar for its own sake. The whole approach is based on the principle "that language is learnt through use, and that the use of it is almost always accompanied by activity of some kind. Pleasurable activity is the secret of success in language assimilation."