Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Essential Question: What is irony and how does it create mea
Transcript of Essential Question: What is irony and how does it create mea
- What are the Germans afraid of at the beginning of Chapter 3? What do they decide to do as a result of this fear?
- What is the journey back to Germany like? What is life like on the trains?
- What happens with hitchhiker? Did this surprise you? Why or why not?
P. 83 - Commotion
"At night was a commotion. 8 or 9 ran off"
Definition: a state of confused and noisy disturbance
ISN'T IT IRONIC?
What is irony and how does it help to create meaning?
There are three types of irony
- Situational irony occurs when the outcome of an event is the opposite of what is expected to happen
- Situational irony is the most common form of irony
- Chapter 3 Reading Quiz
- Short discussion
- Irony presentation
(C-NOTE quiz Thursday)
The contrast between what appears and what really is.
- When the Speaker says one thing but MEANS another
- Verbal irony is often considered sarcasm.
When the reader or audience is aware of something that the characters are not
Identify the following situations as verbal, dramatic, or situational irony
"What lovely weather we're having today"
Dramatic irony is often in scary movies when we know there is a ghost/robber/trap but the characters do not.
George breaks a date with his girlfriend so he can go to the basketball game with the guys. At the concession stand, he runs into his girlfriend with another guy.
You are watching a horror movie and know that the boogey man is waiting in the closet but the main character does not know and opens the closet door.
Your date for the dance shows up in ripped jeans and a stained shirt. With a smirk you say
"Oh I see you dressed up for the occasion."
Is it ironic or just bad luck?