Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Taoism (Daoism)
- The Way...Sort of?
- Western translations
- The Tao is NOT a God
- Return to original state of being
- Experience and life gets in the way
Yin and Yang
- World as filled with complementary forces:
- Forces that must compliment each other and
would not make sense on their own.
- Balance, not static, equal
- Seek balance in life
- cosmic vital energy that enables beings to survive and links them to the universe as a whole.
- Ch'i is the basic material of all existence
- Ch'i is the root of the human body; more of Ch'i, the healthier the human body.
- This flow of Ch'i
- Lao Tzu, founder, many people or not a person?
- "Old master" referring to accumulated wisdom of elders
- Tao Te Ching the founding BOOK of Taoism.
- Probably not a single author.
- Tao Te Ching and Lao Tzu
- 8th - 3rd century
- Chuamg Tzu, sermons and debates (with Confucius)
Foundation (The Basics)
- Ancient tradition
- The Tao = THE WAY
- Founded about 2000 years ago, no direct founder
- Live in harmony with nature and people
- If he didn't exist, does it matter?
- Why make up a single founder?
Rites and Rituals
- Order and harmony the cosmos:
1) the cosmos as a whole (the world of nature)
2) the world or human society
3) and the inner world of human individuals.
- Purification, meditation and offerings to deities.
- Priests administer the rituals. playing instruments and chanting.
- Chiao (jiao)
Wu - Wei
- all action should be natural
- lack of planning
- spontaneous and natural
- the source of creation
- inexpressible and indefinable
- the natural universe as a whole
- the way of nature as a whole
The Way is to man as rivers and lakes are to fish,
the natural condition of life.
- Chuang Tzu
- Tao te Ching
- The "un-carved block"
- nature most powerful in orginial form
- nature prior to judgement
- Example: a baby
- Everything in nature is part of the same whole
- humans are nature, linked and created, comic force