Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of The Greenhouse Effect
Transcript of Copy of The Greenhouse Effect
How is Carbon Dioxide Causing an Enhanced Greenhouse Effect?
Reduce deforestation STOP CUTTING DOWN TREES!!
•It is one of the main greenhouse gases
Human Activity and Carbon Dioxide
•Carbon dioxide concentrations continue to grow-and between 1995 and 2005, growth rates were highest
Carbon Dioxide & the Greenhouse Effect
• It is a layer of gases in Earth's atmosphere
Greenhouse gases include carbon dioxide, methane, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide. They trap the sun's heat on its way back into space
The higher the amount of greenhouse gases means the more heat is trapped
• We need the greenhouse gases because without it warmth from the sun would reflect (bounce) back into space and there would be no warmth on the Earth
• Earth's temperature will drop about 30 degrees Celsius and become inhospitable for most life
• When there is no sunlight it would be freezing cold and when there is sunlight it would be too hot (Mercury has no atmosphere)
• The greenhouse effect is a natural part of the Earth but the rapid increase of greenhouse gases due to humans is NOT NATURAL!
•Today's atmosphere contains 32% more carbon dioxide than it did at the start of the industrial era
•Carbon dioxide has increased the most during the past 200 years
The consequences of enhancing the greenhouse effect
•loss of snow
•Carbon dioxide has been rapidly increasing over the years due to human activity which is causing more warmth to be retained in the atmosphere and leading to rapid climate change!!
Human activity is the main reason behind the rapid increase of Carbon dioxide
•burning of fossil fuels (cars and transportation)
•home energy use
•Humans have been altering the climate since the industrial era
•The making of all the new technology increases carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
•We are changing the Earth by the way we live (e.g.driving a car to work adds carbon dioxide to the atmosphere)
•urbanization and land use
•The Carbon in the atmosphere was always stable because the natural processes removed as much carbon dioxide as they released
•Shrinking of wetlands is causing less carbon dioxide to be removed
•animals that live in cold icy conditions will become extinct such as the polar bears
•increase in sea level (many countries are below sea level) many people will lose their homes
•there is a higher risk of hurricanes since they form in warm water
How can we reduce our carbon dioxide emissions?
Try using the car less such as walk or ride your bicycle to nearby destinations or carpool.
We focus mainly on this gas because it is the gas that is most significantly increased due to human activity.
Click on the link to find out more about gases
WHY WOULD WE NEED
EPA.(2015, August 8) Retrieved from http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/kids/basics/index.html
EPA.(2015, Aug 8).Climate Concepts.http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/kids/basics/concepts.html
E.P.A.(2015, August 20). Climate Concepts. Retrieved from http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/kids/basics/concepts.html