Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Fibromyalgia
Also known as......
A common syndrome in which a person has long-term. This disease causes body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. What causes it? The actual cause is unknown..
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Abnormal pain response - areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients
- Sleep disturbances
Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified Symptoms - Pain is the main symptom (can be anywhere from mild to severe)
- The pain may feel like a deep ache up to a shooting, burning pain
- the painful areas are called tender points (found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees) [pain then spreads out from these areas] Occurrences of Fibromyalgia - Between 80 and 90 percent of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women. But, men and children can have the disorder. Most people are diagnosed during middle age.
- In the United States about 2% is affected by the the disease, which is approximately 5 million Americans 18 or older.
- Occurs most common among women aged 20 to 50
- Globally 7% of the population is affected Famous Individual With The Disease - Susan Flannery- The Bold and the Beautiful
- Sinead O’Connor- Grammy-winning Irish sing-song writer
- Michael James Hastings- The West Wing, National Spokesman for Fibromyalgia
- Florence Nightingale- pioneer in health during Victorian period
- Rosie Hamlin- Lead singer of the band Rosie and the Originals
- Frances Winfield Bremer- Wife of Ambassador L. Paul Bremer the third Complication - People tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. - Some patients' pain improves during the day and gets worse at night (Some patients have pain all day long)
- Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.
- Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia Interesting Fact: The joints are not affected, but the pain may feel like its coming from them. - Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Memory and concentration problems
- Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
- Reduced ability to exercise
- Tension or migraine headaches More Complications Diagnosis To be diagnosed you must have had at least 3 months of widespread pain, and pain and tenderness in at least 11 of 18 areas, including
Thighs Treatments First type of treatment involve:
- Physical therapy
- Exercise and fitness program
- Stress-relief methods, including light massage and relaxation techniques Drugs
- Anti-seizure drugs
- Muscle relaxants
- Pain relievers
- Sleeping aids Behavior Treatment
- Deal with negative thoughts
- Keep a diary of pain and symptoms
- Recognize what makes your symptoms worse
- Seek out enjoyable activities - Eat a well-balanced diet
- Avoid caffeine
- Practice good sleep routines to improve quality of sleep
- Acupressure and acunpuncture National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA)
National Gibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Fibromyalgia/support-group Support Organizations http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm
http://fmaware.org/site/PageServer3958.html?pagename=research_clinicalTrials Work Cited - Fibromyalgia does not increase mortality rate but a recent study shows suicide risk and accidental deaths have increased.
- Accidental deaths such as car accidents due to cognitive dysfunction or an overdose in drugs make it dangerous to drive Expected lifespan
Expected causes of death - Although there is no cure scientists and physicians continue to make strides into the cause and treatment of fibromyalgia.
- Current research involves finding what genes are involved with fibromyalgia as well as new treatments and diagnostic cures.
- Since 2007 the U.S. FDA has approved three medications for the treatment of fibromyalgia and other medications are in development. Prognosis Clinical Trials Heath Line
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm Websites with
Information on Fibromyalgia Alternative Therapies:
Efficacy of Acupuncture to Improve Symptoms and Functionality for People With Fibromyalgia
Location: Whittier, California, Southern California University of Health Sciences
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Treating Women With Chronic Widespread Pain
Condition: Fibromyalgia; Chronic Pain; Depression
Location: Seattle, Washington, Harborview Medical Center
Drug and Talk Therapy for Fibromyalgia
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, Clinical Research Center for Pain
Evaluation and Diagnosis of People With Pain and Fatigue Syndromes
Condition: Fatigue; Fibromyalgia; Pain
Location: Bethesda, Maryland, NIH Clinical Center - Fibromyalgia is a neurological chronic condition
- 3.7 million Americans are confronted with FM pain and other specific symptoms
- People with FM for a long period of time may be suffering from Short-term memory loss
- Doctors tell the difference between FM and Chronic fatigue syndrome by the presence of tender spots Interesting facts - What is one of the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
- How do doctors tell the difference between fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome?
- What is fibromyalgia also known as? Questions - Fatigue
- The presence of tender points in the tissue such as the back, near the breastbone, near the elbows, and near the knees
- Fibromyositis, Fibrositis ANSWERS Video About Fibromyalgia