Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Fibromyalgia
Also known as......
A common syndrome in which a person has long-term. This disease causes body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. What causes it? The actual cause is unknown..
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Abnormal pain response - areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients
- Sleep disturbances
Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified Symptoms - Pain is the main symptom (can be anywhere from mild to severe)
- The pain may feel like a deep ache up to a shooting, burning pain
- the painful areas are called tender points (found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees) [pain then spreads out from these areas] Occurrences of Fibromyalgia - Between 80 and 90 percent of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women. But, men and children can have the disorder. Most people are diagnosed during middle age.
- In the United States about 2% is affected by the the disease, which is approximately 5 million Americans 18 or older.
- Occurs most common among women aged 20 to 50
- Globally 7% of the population is affected Famous Individual With The Disease - Susan Flannery- The Bold and the Beautiful
- Sinead O’Connor- Grammy-winning Irish sing-song writer
- Michael James Hastings- The West Wing, National Spokesman for Fibromyalgia
- Florence Nightingale- pioneer in health during Victorian period
- Rosie Hamlin- Lead singer of the band Rosie and the Originals
- Frances Winfield Bremer- Wife of Ambassador L. Paul Bremer the third Complication - People tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. - Some patients' pain improves during the day and gets worse at night (Some patients have pain all day long)
- Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.
- Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia Interesting Fact: The joints are not affected, but the pain may feel like its coming from them. - Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Memory and concentration problems
- Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
- Reduced ability to exercise
- Tension or migraine headaches More Complications Diagnosis To be diagnosed you must have had at least 3 months of widespread pain, and pain and tenderness in at least 11 of 18 areas, including
Thighs Treatments First type of treatment involve:
- Physical therapy
- Exercise and fitness program
- Stress-relief methods, including light massage and relaxation techniques Drugs
- Anti-seizure drugs
- Muscle relaxants
- Pain relievers
- Sleeping aids Behavior Treatment
- Deal with negative thoughts
- Keep a diary of pain and symptoms
- Recognize what makes your symptoms worse
- Seek out enjoyable activities - Eat a well-balanced diet
- Avoid caffeine
- Practice good sleep routines to improve quality of sleep
- Acupressure and acunpuncture National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA)
National Gibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Fibromyalgia/support-group Support Organizations http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm
http://fmaware.org/site/PageServer3958.html?pagename=research_clinicalTrials Work Cited - Fibromyalgia does not increase mortality rate but a recent study shows suicide risk and accidental deaths have increased.
- Accidental deaths such as car accidents due to cognitive dysfunction or an overdose in drugs make it dangerous to drive Expected lifespan
Expected causes of death - Although there is no cure scientists and physicians continue to make strides into the cause and treatment of fibromyalgia.
- Current research involves finding what genes are involved with fibromyalgia as well as new treatments and diagnostic cures.
- Since 2007 the U.S. FDA has approved three medications for the treatment of fibromyalgia and other medications are in development. Prognosis Clinical Trials Heath Line
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm Websites with
Information on Fibromyalgia Alternative Therapies:
Efficacy of Acupuncture to Improve Symptoms and Functionality for People With Fibromyalgia
Location: Whittier, California, Southern California University of Health Sciences
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Treating Women With Chronic Widespread Pain
Condition: Fibromyalgia; Chronic Pain; Depression
Location: Seattle, Washington, Harborview Medical Center
Drug and Talk Therapy for Fibromyalgia
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, Clinical Research Center for Pain
Evaluation and Diagnosis of People With Pain and Fatigue Syndromes
Condition: Fatigue; Fibromyalgia; Pain
Location: Bethesda, Maryland, NIH Clinical Center - Fibromyalgia is a neurological chronic condition
- 3.7 million Americans are confronted with FM pain and other specific symptoms
- People with FM for a long period of time may be suffering from Short-term memory loss
- Doctors tell the difference between FM and Chronic fatigue syndrome by the presence of tender spots Interesting facts - What is one of the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
- How do doctors tell the difference between fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome?
- What is fibromyalgia also known as? Questions - Fatigue
- The presence of tender points in the tissue such as the back, near the breastbone, near the elbows, and near the knees
- Fibromyositis, Fibrositis ANSWERS Video About Fibromyalgia