Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
TCV2015 - Termination of Wars (wk11)
Transcript of TCV2015 - Termination of Wars (wk11)
When do wars terminate?
How do wars terminate?
Third party intervention
Disbanding from within. Individual defection
Disbanding as a group
Winning the cooperation of civilians
Organisational factors. How prewar social ties affect wartime trajectories (Staniland 2015)
Horizontal ties | Vertical ties
Integrated groups --> comprehensive COIN
Vanguard groups --> decapitation, sectarian drift
Parochial groups --> factionalisation, "zombification"
Fragmented groups --> crumbling apart, criminalisation
No war no peace
Key policy-related matter. What led people to join might be undone (e.g. material incentive)
Remember: enlistment in armed groups is the product of a match. Once the match is sealed, individual and collective transformations happen.
War is a transformative experience
Highly dependent on what the gov. does based on information available (bargaining failure), political space available for non violent expression (e.g. RENAMO), or resources accessible (e.g. borders)